Liquid Fondant On A Cupcake? Please Help!

Baking By Crystalm Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm by bakencake

Crystalm Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 19

I am trying liquid fondant on a cupcake for the first time. I am not too sure how that will taste. I was wondering if I could put buttercream under this fondant. Will it stick? Will it be too sweet? Will it look as pretty? Should I just do smoothed out BC?? Thanksicon_smile.gif

18 replies
yummycupcake Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 19

Here is how you do it:
You can put a thin coat of hot apricot jam or buttercream.
Place fondant in a ceramic or glass bowl and microwave it for 1 minute or so. It should be liquid and make sure you mix it so it is evenly melted.
Dip the cupcake upside down in the bol and let the excess fondant drip off.
Let it dry.
If you want you can put a second coat.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

mommakabob Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 19

I've been wondering about this! Is this just regular fondant that you melt down?

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 19

cakejournal.com

Jen80 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 19

No mommakabob, it's pouring fondant.

Just ask me, I ordered 15kgs of it instead of rolled fondant once. BIG OOPS! icon_lol.gif

This should help Crystalm:

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant/

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #6 of 19

Thank you, Jen80. That's what I meant to send Crystalm, but I was running out to dinner and only had a second! I hope it wasn't too late for her.

Jen80 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #7 of 19

No worries imagenthatnj icon_smile.gif .

I was looking for the lady from Cake Journals username, because she is a member here and I didn't see your post.

I still can't find it icon_sad.gif .

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 19

I thought the fondant used in that tutorial was regular fondant. Why would you have to melt poured fondant?

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

No worries imagenthatnj icon_smile.gif .

I was looking for the lady from Cake Journals username, because she is a member here and I didn't see your post.

I still can't find it icon_sad.gif .

Her name here is Louise (her real name).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-12174.html

Jen80 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:20am
post #10 of 19

Good one imagenthatnj thumbs_up.gif

So that it's easier to work with cakeythings1961 . Even though it's called poured/pouring fondant it's still quite thick.

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:43am
post #11 of 19
Quote:

Good one imagenthatnj thumbs_up.gif

So that it's easier to work with cakeythings1961 . Even though it's called poured/pouring fondant it's still quite thick.

Thanks, Jen80. I just found that tutorial last week. I've been wanting to try it, but I would not have been successful had I done it with regular fondant!

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:51am
post #12 of 19

Peggy Porschen has a little bit different recipe. I know I scanned it from my books, but I can't find it.

I found this thread in CC where that recipe is mentioned, and the recipe included.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4326553.html

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:03am
post #13 of 19

Wait a minute!!!!!!! I just went back and looked at Cake Journal's tutorial, and if you look carefully at the picture of the supplies, that's regular fondant in the bowl. I also found this on youtube, which seems to be the same dipping-the-cupcake-in-melted-fondant process:

I'm sure you can also dip cupcakes in pourable fondant, and it sounds like many of you have had success with that!!! I'll try that method, too! I'm just glad to know I wasn't completely off my rocker by thinking it was actually melted fondant.

imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #14 of 19

I haven't checked Louise's recipe even though I'm a reader of her blog. I keep Peggy Porschen's book nearby and that's what I refer to.

I think you do need fondant, because if it was only sugar syrup with flavor, it would be pretty thin.

I know in other places of the world, I've seen in the recipes that they buy the pourable fondant in bags, in powder form, much like you would do Jell-O.

Jen80 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:03am
post #15 of 19

Well there you go. You can use regular fondant.

Sorry to be the cause of you thinking that you were going off your rocker cakeythings1961 icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif .

cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:

Well there you go. You can use regular fondant.

Sorry to be the cause of you thinking that you were going off your rocker cakeythings1961 icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif .

icon_lol.gif No worries! I also just found an interesting recipe for poured fondant on the King Arthur site. It has candy melts in it which might give me the coverage I'm looking for while also having that nice glossy surface of a pourable fondant.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/poured-fondant-icing-recipe

bakencake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 19

got something even easier, though i've never tried any of these techniques. I bouth the What's New, Cupcake book and here they show their version of poured fondant. they dip cupcakes in melted canned frosting. They say to avoid the low-sugar or whipped frosting. all you have to do is get a can of frosting, microwave, dip the cupcake

SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:17pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

got something even easier, though i've never tried any of these techniques. I bouth the What's New, Cupcake book and here they show their version of poured fondant. they dip cupcakes in melted canned frosting. They say to avoid the low-sugar or whipped frosting. all you have to do is get a can of frosting, microwave, dip the cupcake

i did try this just to see how it would work out. put the cupcakes back in the freezer after they were dipped and never got as firm as i needed. the rolled fondant when melted gets back to a more firm state and doesn't get mushed if touched.

bakencake Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #19 of 19

glad you tried it, now I know what to expect

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%