My Adventures...

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 3:00am by adventuregal

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #1 of 3

so recently I started my business and I've been trying to do every thing local. It's funny because in speaking to local businesses I've had a MUCH harder time getting product. Most recently I found a local fondant supplier. They have a website, a face book, and a number and a few pictures. I met with the guy at a local coffee house and got a sample of their white satin fondant and came home to try it-it reminded me very much of MMF. Anywho...I recalled the man saying where there bakery was (about 45 minutes from me) so I get online to google it and can't find a SINGLE thing about it! So now my red flags are going off...I found them on CL, they didn't have many pictures, I can't find them on the business licensing website...then I'm thinking hmmm hmmm hmmm...I think I might have just been 'played' LOL I'm hoping not-hoping for the best. I emailed the woman this time (not the guy I met with) and I asked her for the name of the bakery one more time and she says "what bakery?" and I replied "the bakery your business partner told me you ran your business out of. Can you tell me where it is?" And I still haven't heard back! Anyone else have weird adventures like this? The troubles of going local!

2 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 3

That is frightening. Did they ask for your license or credit card? Kinda makes me think that they were trying to run some kind of scam.

When I had my coffee shop, I couldn't always buy local because they didn't carry the quality of products that I used. However, over time, I did develop a good rapport with many local businesses who returned the favor and supported mine.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:00am
post #3 of 3

they didn't ask for my stuff, but when I met them I had my portfolio and business cards so every thing was legit on my side of the table. I'm really weirded out by this! I have tried msging several times and my question of whether they are a bakery keeps getting totally dodged. The last time I msgd I said "do you have a bakery I can visit OR are you a licensed home worker?" But they keep dodging with random statements. Very odd. I love local business and I was so excited to have found them-but at the same time I have my own business to run and any product I use I want to know is 100% safe and legitimate you know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%