Need Help With "string" On Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 3:08am by DSmo

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 14

I have a bride that wants the string on this cake and don't know how do to it. We tried putting gumpaste through the spaghetti maker, but didn't work, then we were going to put gumpaste through our clay guns, kills the hands, and there would be problems with it drying hard after we spray it with gray airbrush, then would break when applies.

So next we put white chocolate clay through the big clay extruder, sprayed it with silver airbrush, and it is drying now.

Can someone think of an easier way?

(It's the cake on the left)

Thanks

13 replies
sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:45am
post #2 of 14

The picture didn't make it to your post.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 14

I'm sure this is an extreme, but some string work can be done with royal icing. Royal icing works well with fondant.

String work can be a little tricky..hth

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 14

Attaching photos in the forums is not working lately. You need a link or upload temporarily to your pictures stating clearly that's not your cake and then delete the photo after we see it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 14

Knead some shortening into your gumpaste to make extruding through the clay gun easier. You'll need actually quite a bit of shortening. You'll be surprised how easy it is!

Why are you airbrusing it grey? Can't you tint your gumpaste grey?

deetmar Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 14

Here are the pictuers, THEY ARE NOT MINE! Uploaded to ask a question about the cake on the left

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1820249.html

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 14

I thought I read somewhere (I am sure I have that photo in my files) that the strings around that cake were not edible. That it was that thin silver string (called rafia?) just tied around in a nice design.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 14

I think Imagene is right. I think that's a non-edibile string around it.

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 14

Unfortunately, the bride might have a different idea.

I am thinking and thinking where I saved that cake, or from where. Must be from a book or magazine because there are two together. I remember it distinctly, but I have thousands of cakes saved that I haven't filed away in a proper folder.

(sigh)

deetmar, do you have any idea where the picture came from?

deetmar Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 14

The picture came from one of the Wedding Magazines from the UK, I can't tell you which one right now, but will look.

I ended up going with an unedible. We tried gumpaste, what a nightmare. I tried piping royal icing and then the silver wouldn't stick, we trick white chocolate modeling clay, kept breaking, so we gave up. I still had roses to make for the wedding tomorrow.

Since the stores already have Christmas stuff out, I got the string at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents!

I really hate putting non-edible items on my cakes but this time there is no other choice. I e-mailed the bride and she was quite upset, but I didn't know what else to do. I told her the cake looks spectacular and she will love it.

Thanks for the help!

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 14

Hope she realizes (if she gave you the photo) that it's the "thing to do lately" with satin ribbons and that other raffia ribbon.

I've seen plenty of cakes done that way, it's the new, contemporary way. As soon as I saw your picture, I knew I had read that it was made with ribbons. Everybody is doing it with good and bad results, and it actually looks cleaner when it's done with the ribbons. I've seen some disastrous cakes done with strips of fondant.

For your defense:

http://www.jacquespastries.com/weddingcakes/ribbonsbows/ribbonsbows.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyoccasion/4276716443/
http://www.perfect-wedding-day.com/brown-wedding-cakes.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22133807@N04/3789893343/

Good luck!

deetmar Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:08am
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the help, I feel so much better knowing that other people do it, and it really made a difference on the cake. It looks so much cleaner and elegant.

I try so hard to do thiis with edible only, but sometimes is just isn't possible.

imagenthatnj Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #13 of 14

Remember to delete the cakes! People don't read! 8 favorites already. Now that I think about it, maybe it's people who don't speak English. Lol.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:08am
post #14 of 14

It can't be deleted now that people have save it to favorites.

Too bad those lookers didn't pay attention. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%