How Does Cake Height Factor In?

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm by indydebi

TabbieCakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 5

I love that Earlene put up a cake serving chart, but being somewhat new, I'm wondering if I'm missing something with regard to how the height of the cake factors in, if it does.

Earlene states that an 8" round pan with a 25" circumference serves 15 people.

Is this based on a single 2" layer? True for a double layer? What about high torted cakes?

Is there some standard height that is factored in that I'm not aware of?

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 5

Wilton's chart is based off of 1x2x4 in servings, which would be a two layer cake.

Generally if something is only 1 layer, such as a sheet cake then it is a 2x2x2 piece which is the same size as the 1x2x4, and would be half of the servings of a 2 layer cake.

CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 5
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

Is there some standard height that is factored in that I'm not aware of?

Are you aware of the Wilton wedding cake serving guide?

The standard serving is 1" x 2" x 4" (8 cu. in.).

If you plan to make cakes that are taller than the standard 4", the servings would not typically fit on the plate easily when sliced, therefore you may wish to consider a cake board separator for the 4" high portion and cut the additional servings accordingly for 8 cu. in. serving sizes. HTH.

TrixieTreats Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 5

I generally go with Earlene's numbers (applied to a 2 layer cake) and assume the higher the cake, the more generous the slice. So, if the sizes of a cake are sort of tight (based on the number of servings needed) sometimes I will add a third layer to give a more generous portion...which I imagine would lessen the likeliness of second helpings. Just my thought process...

Also, I always assume a 2x2x4 serving size, unless it is for a formal event where a caterer will be serving the cake.

indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 5

For those who use larger serving sizes (1x2x6 or 2x2x4, for example), do you charge more per serving, since they are getting more cake per serving?

The 1x2x6 is 12 cubic inches, which is 50% bigger than the 1x2x4 (8 cubic inches).

The 2x2x4 = 16 cubic inches which is twice the size of the 1x2x4.

So if a standard 1x2x4 serving is $3, then are you charging $4.50 for the 12 cubic inches and $6 for the 16 cubic inches?

Just curious on how folks do pricing when they offer larger cake servings like that.

trixietreats, have you ever run into a situation where the bride came back later and said they were havign a caterer cut it, so you had to explain why she was now going to get a cake only half the size?

Thanks in advance for educating me! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%