What Is The Best Way To Glue A Large Bow And To Cake Side?

Decorating By babysteps22 Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 12:22am by babysteps22

babysteps22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babysteps22 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!

I have an order for a wedding cake that is to have a large bow on the side of a 10" double barrel cake. I have made bows in the past and used fondant, but I've never done one where the bow is not resting on something. This one needs to be dead center, so glued really well and strong. So here are my questions...

1. Should the bow be 1/2 fondant, 1/2 gumpaste? Or fondant with tylose? (though I've not used that before)

2. What is the best glue to keep it flat on the side of the cake without my having to put too much pressure against the bow when placing it? I was thinking a thick RI, but then I've seen some use chocolate?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 6

I use GP so I can get them really thin and relaistic and weighs less.

I have used both melted choc and roayl to glue them on. see the big bow wedding cake in my photos; it wont let me upload it here....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=39073

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 6

To piggyback on the question what do you do if it is on an imbc or american buttercream icing?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 6

that I do not know as I never use it....

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 6

I had a large bow, that I made from very thin gumpaste. Before it dried I put a small hole in the center. I used white chocolate to glue on the bow, and inserted a toothpick through the hole, then put on the middle of the bow to cover the center.

babysteps22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babysteps22 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much Sharon and Karen!

So I will use gumpaste and royal along with the hole and toothpick for extra support. Ok, so here's a possibly dumb follow-up question...

The tier with the bow will be wrapped in ribbon as well, and the color is not really white, but more of a pearl, so I'll be adding a bit of color and luster dust. Should I use gumpaste for the wrapped ribbon as well so that the color is uniform? (do you think the color may be slightly different if I use fondant on one part and gumpaste on the other? ) I guess I'm just nervous about the wrapped part maybe breaking in transit? Also the other tiers have the same ribbon trim.

This forum is a life saver! Thanks again in advance for the advice!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%