How Did He Get This To Stand Straight Up?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm by drakegore

drakegore Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 9

How do you think he supported the upright portion so seamlessly?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artisancakes/3212233317/

It seems like the weight of it would just topple is over and it doesn't look like a seperate piece (I bet it is, but how does he make it look like it's not).
He doesn't seem to answer questions, so I am looking for help because I need to do this in a couple weeks icon_smile.gif.
Thank You!
Diane

8 replies
mandymakescakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

Making it in two pieces might be easier on your nerves icon_wink.gif Make the pieces separately out of gum paste or 50/50 gum paste/fondant, but while molding the screen portion, including the hinge, put several long bamboo skewers or lolly sticks in place, the longer ones that will go through a good portion of the cake when assembling. I would even try calculating where the skewers would/will pierce the cake board and score holes there for extra support (let me know if you need me to explain that better). The bottom piece only needs to be resting against the top piece to appear as one continuous 'unit'. These pieces look thick, so allow plenty of time to dry! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 9

It looks like it's chocolate not fondant or gumpaste. He could've made a mold to get it as 1 piece.

CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 9

It looks like the lid is fondant/gumpaste covered foam (notice the bumps?)

gingerbreadtogo Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 9

It looks like foam to me.

Kaykaymay Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 9

I'd go with Styro or rice crispy treats covered in chocolate

casme Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9

If you make this out of gumpaste it will be very heavy depending on the size. Might be something you want to think about.

Jeannem Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 9

If you look at your picture, it looks quite large--like a laptop. But if you check out the other pic, it's only around 2"x5"--much easier to accomplish. I'd use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste with skewers put inside the top part to "stab' into the cake.

drakegore Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all!
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%