Adding Sparkles/sugar To Fondant

Decorating By aundrea Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm by sweetcakes

aundrea Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

when i want to add sanding sugar or sparkle to fondant or gumpaste.
what is the best technique? when i used gumpaste glue- it makes my fondant/gumpaste all gummy and it doesnt harden at all.
same thing happens to me when i add water. i thought about alcohol but once evaporated wouldnt the sugar fall off???
thanks for any help

3 replies
niragub Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 4

I was thinking of brushing corn syrup on the fondant. But, on the wilton site it says "Thin piping gel with a small amount of water and brush on cakes. Immediately cover cakes with sparkling sugar." http://www.wilton.com/idea/Rose-Romance-Cake or search Rose Romance Cake.

UpAt2am Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 4

ashley vicos taught me this trick...

add equal parts corn syrup and water and mix til corn syrup is dissolved. use a small paint brush and paint where you want to apply the sugar/dust/etc. depending on your piece, you can dip your gumpaste piece into the sugar/dust/etc. or you can sprinkle the dust onto the piece and then flip it over and tap the excess off. the dust/sugar will stick to the syrup/water mixture, but not everything else.

once done, let dry. the water will eventually evaporate/dry, leaving just the sticky of the corn syrup behind icon_smile.gif

HTH!

sweetcakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 4

if you want to cover the whole cake with sparkle, refridgerate the cake an hr or 2 when youtake it out it will get sticky, thats when you can apply it. If its in certain areas you want them brush with the diluted piping gel or corn syrup as someone else mentioned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%