How Would You Cut The Sweetness Of A Vanilla Buttercream?

Baking By kns93 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm by tat2edprincess

kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm using a vanilla buttercream recipe that I really like. It has all the stardard stuff in it...butter, milk, vanilla and 8 cups of powdered sugar. The consistency is perfectly silky but I feel it is too sweet. Anything I can use to cut the sweetness? Would lemon juice work?

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 6

Make sure you are using SALTED butter. Salt cuts sweet. Other than that...it may be too sweet for you, but others may love it. Food is so subjective....hard to get that "perfect" result. Good luck!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 6

I only use unsalted butter because you can control the amount of salt in your recipe and also because unsalted butter will almost certainly be more fresh than salted because the salt is a preservative used mainly to extend shelf life. I add fine salt (popcorn salt is great) to my buttercream to cut the sweetness. Try adding just a little but at a time. Start with 1/8 tsp. I add it with the fat at the beginning of the recipe to cream them together and dissolve the grains. I have also heard that the butter in buttercream also makes the end product taste sweeter and more rich than a shortening based buttercream. My buttercream is either all shortening, or no more than half butter. This might help sweetness as well.

kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much fo rthe quick replies. I will try adding some salt.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 6

some people use little sour cream and or little lemon juice to cut the sweetness of their amercan buttercream. I haven,t tried it, but i want to. I do use unsweeten butter and then use fine popcorn salt. Works great for me. hth

tat2edprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat2edprincess Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

i learned that if you use less power sugar it cuts the sweetness.....

lol ...i double my recipe well all the ingredients were doubled except the power sugar....thank goodness i flavored it banana and it took away from the fact that it didn't have enough sugar ....oops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%