Red Velvet Cake Recipe??

Baking By giglechk4u Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm by mandymakescakes

giglechk4u Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 2

Does anyone have a good easy red velvet cake recipe? Or has ever used a good box cake mix one?
I usually doctor up a box cake mix for my white, yellow, and chocolate cakes (add an extra egg, a little more oil, & pudding mix) because the couple times i made a cake from scratch it did not come out good at all!

So I prefer a box cake mix even if i have to doctor it up a little. It's a 3 tier wedding cake so i'd like it to be a sturdy cake as well. Oh and I will not be refrigerating the cake so the recipe has to be shelf stable too.

This is my first request for a red velvet cake so I'm nervous to use a homemade recipe but if everyone's response ends up being DONT USE BOX RED VELVET CAKE! then I guess I'll have to make it from scratch.

Hope Someone out there can help me! icon_sad.gif

1 reply
mandymakescakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 2

There was a thread related to this recently that I commented on:

I haven't gone back and read to the end, but I think there are a few recipes in there to take a look at. I personally like red velvet (I think it's the cream cheese frosting!), and have tried a few scratch recipes that I've liked (I'm a scratch baker). The most recent one was featured on Bakerella's site:

All I can suggest is try a couple of recipes out and find one you're comfortable with... hope your neighbors like cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%