How Thick Is Bc Under Fondant

Decorating By LindaF144a Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm by tracycakes

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 5

How thick do you place your bc under your fondant?

I made my cake for my gum paste and flower class last night. I confess it did not thoroughly read the instructions and I frosted my cake like I normally do for a dessert cake with no fondant. Come to find out it should only be a crumb coating. I got the fondant on okay, but I think the top of the cake is uneven as a result ( I'll post a photo later this morning). It is not terribly noticeable, just my anal tendencies coming through.

But we got to talking about this and brought up the question of what if someone doesn't like the fondant? Many people I talk to say they peel it away and set the inside. So wouldn't you want the extra frosting? I did tort each layer and out a layer of frosting between, so maybe that is the solution?

I would love to get others opinion on this.

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 5

It's a matter of your own, or your client's, taste.

I love frosting on a cake, and most people do not eat the rolled fondant, no matter how good it tastes, so I apply a full 1/4 inch of frosting under fondant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 5

There is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you. Some people only put a crumb coat on, some put a partial, and some put a full layer of buttercream on under the fondant.

i personally put a normal layer of buttercream under the fondant mainly b/c most of my clients want that buttercream. Most still eat the fondant, but it's the buttercream they're used to with cake, so they want it there.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, more frosting is a good thing. icon_biggrin.gif
So it doesn't affect the quality of the design, fondant or anything like that. It is still holding up on my cake the next day, so I think I will continue to frost this thick cause we like our frosting in this house. icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

I put a normal coat on because I tell my customers that there is buttercream under the fondant and if they don't want the fondant, just peel it off. After I ice the cakes, I chill them and cover with fondant when they are firm on the outside. It really helps be get a good, smooth finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%