Piping Gel

Decorating By Cocobongo Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm by Cocobongo

Cocobongo Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:56am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone

I've not used piping gel before and have a couple of questions...

Does it taste of anything?
Can you flavour it (with vanilla extract or lemon etc)?
What do you use to colour it... are paste colours ok or should it be liquid colours?
Does it set?

I'm thinking of doing a pool cake. One final question, do you only make the pool an inch deep so you don't have too much gel?

Thanks in advance.

Coco icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobongo

Does it taste of anything? Can you flavour it (with vanilla extract or lemon etc)? What do you use to colour it... are paste colours ok or should it be liquid colours? Does it set?
I'm thinking of doing a pool cake. One final question, do you only make the pool an inch deep so you don't have too much gel?

Does it taste? - Taste it. It's like thick sugar water. (It kinda 'sets'. Do a sample on wax paper, then touch in an hour)
Can you flavor it? - Don't need to since it is used with icing or fondant or both already on the cake.
To colour it - use your icing gel colors, tiny bit at a time since the color is really strong with piping gel! As they always say, 'you can add more color, but you can't take it back if it is too dark'
Pool - do NOT make it an inch deep. The pool made of piping gel is an illusion of water, not an actual pool. All you have to do is smear a thin coat of clear piping gel with a spatula where the pool is to be, then use a toothpick to dot in tiny, tiny amounts of blue color, then gently (don't go into the BC underneath) the blue into the "water". It will look more realistic if the colors are slightly shaded. Here's a link to a similar thread: http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=111699d

Cocobongo Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Apti. That's a lot of help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%