What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By gingersnapp Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 5:13am by gingersnapp

gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:05am
post #1 of 2

Ok- i just made this cake for the woman that does my hair sometimes. She saw one of my cakes and asked me to make a cake for her and her son.

She was having a 30th B-day party and she wanted black and white for colors or gold and pink. I sent her a pic of the confetti cake book shoebox cake.
She loved the idea and i told her i would put my own design on the cake b/c that was not my design but i will make her cake in her black and white colors.
Red velvet, Cream Cheese SMB $100

Never did a cake like it before but i wanted to try it. Made the shoe way in advance and was happy with it. I called her a week before her party to confirm her pick up and she tells me the party had been cancelled and she forgot about the cake. I never took a deposit from her- stupid me. Anyway we went back and forth and i told her it was ok b/c i did not do anything perishable yet. Lie icon_evil.gif

I text her about her son's cake that will be coming up next week and she tells me what time will her cake be ready? So i say to her what you still want a cake- she says yes. I made the cake and delivered it Saturday.

I texted her on Tuesday- to see how everything went and to talk about her son's cake. she just text me back- saying that the cake tasted great but she was not happy with the design of the cake and she will get back to me about her sons cake next week.

Mind you she wants an Elmo cake. 6 butter cake with vanilla buttercream, Elmo on the cake. Well I have to get started on making the Elmo figure that I was planning on putting on the cake.

I am so peeved because I feel like I am begging these people and I am not. I so under charged for the cake that I did for her. And i get so mad when people think that I can just whip a cake out of my butt when ever they want.

I dont know if I should call her and asked what she did not like about the design or not even make her sons cake.

I know that all of this can be prevented if I was not baking out of my apartment. But at the current time I can not rent a space. A lot of the time I do under charge b/c I really do enjoy making cakes and I am using this time to practices my skills. I know it is lame but thats what I got.

My husband says that, my cakes are too elaborate and people are not expecting all the work that I put into my cakes. So when they do see the cakes they dont know what to think. But that is not what I do. if they want a simple cake then they should go to their local bakery and get a cake. he though $100 was too much for the cake
I can tell you that know one in my area can do the cakes that I do. yes there are high end cake places but the people that I have been making cakes for do not know about them.

(I am venting sorry)
what would you do

1 reply
gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:13am
post #2 of 2

Sorry but i can't seem to add the picture to the post, but it is in my folder.
thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%