Wedding Cake Size

Decorating By kirogers Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 3:10am by Bskinne

kirogers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirogers Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 10

I am doing my first wedding cake next weekend. The bride wants a 3 tier square cake. I have a 8, 12, & 16 inch wilton pans. Will those look funny stacked ontop of each other? I plan on using an 18 inch base. Just wanted some advise from people who do this often! icon_smile.gif Thanks!!!

Katie

9 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 10

Those sizes will be fine to stack. You will have a nice deep step-back to put flowers, etc onto.

How many servings does she need? The 8-12-16 squares will give you 232 servings. Do you need the 18? Thats another 162 servings!

HTH
Kristy

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 10

I always stack up my pans to get an idea of how it will look. Give it a try! icon_lol.gif

kirogers Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 10

I ony need about 100 servings, but they will only be cutting the 12 & 16 inch cakes. I am actually using fresh flowers, so if you say it should work, then I will go with it!!!

I am not making another 18 inch cake, just using it as the base board. Should I cover it in White fondant (the rest will be covered in White buttercream) or silver fancy foil? Which would look better?

Thanks for your help!! icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 10

I would go with the silver, white might be too much....you could add some color by wrapping a ribbon around the sides of the base....
The cake sizes you are talking about though are WAY bigger than 100 servings....Just the 16" is 120 servings...you could always use a cake dummy for the 12" layer if the bride is set on a certain design, or explore some other options. It's just a shame to throw away 100 wasted cake servings!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirogers

just using it as the base board. Should I cover it in White fondant (the rest will be covered in White buttercream) or silver fancy foil? Which would look better?

I always use a baseboard that is 4" larger than the bottom tier, so I'd use a 20".

I also try to stay away from silver fancy foil unless it's for a 25th anniversary because I think it looks too much like regular aluminum foil. I prefer using colored poly-foil, or white. Perhaps you can use a color that matches your fresh flowers.

kirogers Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I would go with the silver, white might be too much....you could add some color by wrapping a ribbon around the sides of the base....
The cake sizes you are talking about though are WAY bigger than 100 servings....Just the 16" is 120 servings...you could always use a cake dummy for the 12" layer if the bride is set on a certain design, or explore some other options. It's just a shame to throw away 100 wasted cake servings!

Do you think if I did the 8, 10 and 12 inch that it would be enough cake? I already had the 16 so I was going to go with that, but I am sure I can get a 10 inch square pan without problem!

Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:57am
post #8 of 10

More than enough...8"=32 servings, 10"= 50, and 12"=72....still 154 servings, and if the 8" isn't being served, you have 122 servings.
Here's the serving chart I use....
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/wedding/cakechart.aspx

kirogers Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #9 of 10

Thanks for you help. I think I will just get the 10" pan and go with the smaller cake! icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #10 of 10

No problem! Make sure to post pics of it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%