Brown Fondant And Royal Icing

Decorating By Katyscc Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm by Katyscc

Katyscc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katyscc Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am still very new to cake decorating. I had bought Duffs Choc Fondont and it wasn't what I was looking for. Not smooth like normal fondant. Can I dye white fondant to get the choc brown color.

Thanks
Katy

8 replies
panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 9

you can - but it takes a LOT of color! And then turns very soft.Maybe try adding color and cocoa powder?

Katyscc Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 9

Is choc fondant supposed to be lumpy? Maybe I didn't kneed it out enough? It was almost like modeling choc, very greasy. I can't imagine covering a cake with it. It worked for a branch I had to make. What do you use for brown?

sweetpeasdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpeasdelights Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 9

I actually use Duff's brown fondant and it is quite soft once it is needed and greasy but once it sets up on the cake it dries very well. I love it!!!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 9

When I make brown MMF, I sub part of the PS with cocoa powder, but it's super important to sift it so it's not lumpy. Then you can add brown color until you get the desired shade. It's too hard to go from white fondant to brown or black....

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #6 of 9

I make MFF fondant and instead of white chocolate chips in the recipe, I use milk chocolate chips and it comes out a nice brown, no need to use food coloring

Katyscc Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your replies! Is MMF hard to make right? I watched a video of it and it looks pretty messy but willing to try. Is there a good easy lol recipe I can try for my first time?

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 9

You might have issues the first time, but it's really not that hard. 16 Oz mini marshmallows w/ 2 tbsp water in micro until they melt, usually takes me 2 and a half minutes, stopping it to stir every 30 sec. Then grease your counter and hands liberally with crisco, and dump PS on that-make sure it's sifted so you won't have lumps- and the amount you will use might vary. The recipe calls for 2 lbs but I never use that much. I usually dump the marshmallow on top of the PS and reserve some PS for the top, makes it a little less sticky. The just start working it in until it's barely smooth and together. I usually stop at this point and let it rest, then add additional PS as needed when I'm adding color. HTH

Katyscc Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for the imput! I will have to try all these suggestions icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%