Buttercream Help

Decorating By Keliames Updated 3 Sep 2005 , 12:47am by TexasSugar

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 5

I need some advice. My buttercream recipe I use is fabulous tasting....but I have a few issues with it. I get little air pockets all over the cake when I frost it. Is that because it is too dry? It also crusts faster than I can get it frosted and smooth. Should I up my crisco amounts in the recipe? Is there anything else that would help? Thanks for any help! Keli

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

The air pockets are just that, air pockets. You need to either mix it less. Or once its mixed let it set (i let mine set overnight) then gently stir and most of the air pockets should disappear.

As far as the crusting issue, yes if you up your fat it should help that problem.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 5

When you are mixing your icing, what are you using to mix it with? I would say that a majority of us have Kitchen Aids and isntead of the whipping attachment we use the flat paddle, less air in the icing. Also, if it is crusting too fast, chances are you are using a too stiff consistency. Add just a bit more water. For icing a cake you want to use a thin consistency icing.

Debbi

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 5

I do use a kitchen aid, maybe it just needs to rest for a bit first. I will try that. Thanks Keli

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

You also want to mix it on the lowest speed, and for the shortest amount of time. If you mix it high or long time you are beating air into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%