How Do I Cut Down The Buttery Taste Of My Frosting?

Baking By ktcakery Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm by TexasSugar

ktcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktcakery Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
Last night I made a mint chocolate buttercream frosting - the base ingredients were egg whites, sugar, and lots and lots of butter (4 sticks). I added 7 oz of chocolate mint candy bar and creme de menthe flavoring according to a recipe I found on this site.
However, both my husband and I feel that the buttery flavor is way too dominant and heavy. I'd prefer not to start again from scratch...is there any way to add something to the existing frosting (confectioner's sugar or vanilla extract, perhaps?) to cut down on some of the buttery taste?
Thank you!

4 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 5

If it were me I would cut out some of the butter and use shortening.....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

Meringue buttercreams just taste buttery. Some people like it that way. I don't think there's anything you can do to it to make it less buttery. You'll probably end up wasting more ingredients trying to make it taste the way you want, and then have to start over.

When I make mint chocolate buttercream, I use Indydebi's recipe, which you can find on the site here, but I add a cup of cocoa powder and a teaspoon of peppermint extract, plus a little extra milk to compensate for the cup of cocoa powder. Indy's recipe is a basic American buttercream, so it might taste more like what you're looking for. You could probably replace the milk in the recipe with creme de menthe, instead of buying peppermint extract.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 5

I didn't realize it was a meringue recipe I wouldn't sub for shortening! Never mind!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%