First Timer Sculpting

Decorating By savvycakes Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 3:07am by Bskinne

savvycakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to attempt to sculpt a football helmet cake. Does anyone have any ideal and experiences that can help me. This is my first time trying to sculp a cake.
Thanks in advance.

6 replies
tastyart Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 7

Make sure you have pictures to look at while sculpting. If you have pics from many angles that's even better. HTH

cakecraft Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

Go can take more cake off if you need to much more easily than putting it back on! Also, I find frozen cake much easier to carve. Less crumbs to deal with, too. Like tastyart said, have lots of pics to refer to, or even better use a real object as a guide. Have fun!

mbark Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

for the 2 or 3 sculpted cake I have done, I found it was much easier than I anticipated so don't worry too much until you give it a go. I agree with all the advice already said.
Good luck!

gjserf Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 7

you could try and use the wilton ball pan for the helmet.

savvycakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 7

I agree with using the ball pan, and putting the half sphere on top of a couple of rounds so you don't have to carve a lot. Also, freezing it slightly helps. After shaping, you might want to put it back in fridge/freezer so it will firm up prior to the crumbcoat, so you don't have pieces falling off. icon_smile.gif just make sure it is room temp prior to final icing coat or fondant being put on. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%