14-Inch Square Base For Wedding Cake -- Can I??

Decorating By luddroth Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 5:47pm by luddroth

luddroth Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 3

use four 7-inch square cakes?

I've never baked larger than a 10-inch layer, and I'm not sure how well my scratch recipes will multiply, and I don't have big pans or other supplies for a layer that size. If I make 4 8-inch squares, cut them to 7 inches, and put them together, each torted and filled, then cover the whole thing with fondant, will it hold together as the base? I'll use the SPS system to support the upper tiers -- probably starting with a 10-in round and going up from there to 8 and 6-inch rounds.

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

If I make 4 8-inch squares, cut them to 7 inches, and put them together, each torted and filled, then cover the whole thing with fondant, will it hold together as the base?

Yes, it will work, but rather than trimming your 8" cakes down to 7" and dealing with the crumbs, it would be easier to build it as a 16" square and throw in the extra servings for free so it isn't wasted and it will be less work for you in the long run.

luddroth Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 3

Good point, thanks. I was thinking that a 16-inch base might look out of proportion with the next tier being 10 inches? Guess it depends on the design...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%