Wine Glass Divider

Decorating By believer Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm by CWR41

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake with wine glass as the tier divider. The bottom cake will be 6 inch round with the wine glass on top - than a 4 inch round on top. How should I put this cake together. Would one glass be enough? Any suggestions? Thanks

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

Would one glass be enough?

You can't get anymore than one wine glass under a 4" cake.

The wine glass needs to be on top of a support board/circle with a support system (dowels, etc.) in the 6" bottom cake.

believer Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 7

Should I glue the glass to plate

CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:

Should I glue the glass to plate

For the top tier, it isn't necessary to glue the cake to the wine glass with anything other than BC or RI.

For the bottom tier, if you don't want your support board to show through the glass, you could first cover it with plastic wrap (optional), then cover it with BC which will help to provide a bit of suction to prevent the glass from sliding around.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7

That might be a good idea. I think the structure in itself is totally fine, I just wonder if it will topple if knocked into...or the table bumped, just by the nature of a wine glass period. (I always seem to topple a glass of wine....then again, maybe that has more to do with the wine itself icon_biggrin.gif)

believer Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, I am going to put silk flowers in the glass, Do I put a plate on top of 6 inch cake first than the glass - sorry I don't understand!

CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:

Thanks, I am going to put silk flowers in the glass, Do I put a plate on top of 6 inch cake first than the glass - sorry I don't understand!

Yes. If you don't use something to support the glass it will cut into or smash into the cake below when you place the 4" cake on top. I called it a support board/circle (covered in plastic wrap/buttercream), and you are calling it a plate (but you won't be able to get a separator plate that is 4" or 5" in diameter, unless you've got some really old plates because those have been long discontinued). HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%