Will This Cake Be Ok???

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm by Texas_Rose

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 4

I just finished an 8" WASC with white choc ganache/fresh s'berry filling. It's iced in BC, and covered in fondant with RI scrollwork. On top is a simple fantasy flower/leaves and "Happy Birthday."

Well, my friend (the cake is for her g'mothers 90th) just called and said that instead of celebrating tonight, they'll be having the get-together tomorrow night. It's just a small family celebration, so nothing formal. I filled/stacked the cake Mon night so that I could decorate Tuesday, and it would be ready to pick up today (Wed).

My concern is whether this cake can sit out that long. She asked about putting it in the refrig, but I don't think it's a good idea. I know condensation will develop and I'm worried about the black RI scrollwork, and the other decorations. Black on white fondant scares me lol !!!

Will this cake be alright sitting out ANOTHER 24 hours???

3 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 4

I think it definitely needs to be refrigerated with the fresh strawberries. I have read here in the forums that if you refrigerate a cake in a box, then let it come to room temp in the box, the condensation will form on the exterior of the box rather than the surface of the cake and anything else inside the box. Wish I had personal experience to share, but this may work based on what I have read in the past....

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, TrixieTreats!

My concern is that it's MMF, and I live in a very high humidity environment. I've read that putting MMF in the refrig sometimes has very bad results.

I've also read from some other cakers that the BC/fondant seals the filling and that it doesn't always need to go in the refrig.

Soooo, the result is that I'm confused lol !!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

I put my MMF covered cakes in the fridge. I haven't had any real issues with condensation. I live in South TX so we have some humidity here too.

With the fresh strawberries, it does need to go in the fridge. When they say that the fondant seals the cake, they just mean it will stay moist for a couple days. It doesn't mean that it will keep anything perishable from spoiling.

Sliced strawberries get moldy kind of fast, that's what I'd be worrying about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%