Silver Coloring

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm by iris219

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a fondant bow and it needs to be silver. Do I use silver glaze? That's the only "silver" I can find.

8 replies
Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 9

hi not sure if this will be any help, but on a christening cake i done which can be found in my pictures, i used a silver dust which worked really well dry just rubbing or painting it on, you can aso add a lil vodka to it and use it wet. works just as well.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 9

Silver Luster Dust either used dry or painted on (mixed with a bit of vodka) works well. Also, silver airbrush food color if you can get it. I have seen the edible silver glaze which is made for fondant, there is a silver food spray that is edible as well.

Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 9

silver lustre dust thats the one icon_smile.gif thanks couldnt think of the name earlyer

dnrlee Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 9

thanks everybody!

Nevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nevie Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 9

You may already know this, but if you tint the fondant grey first, you will maximize the silver color, whichever method you choose to use.

dnrlee Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 9

I did not know that - thanks for the tip!

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto on coloring the fondant gray first. I always start with white fondant and add a small amount of either black fondant or black food coloring. It works so much better than dusting it on white fondant.

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

wonderful tip. need to do a silver anniversary cake in November. Will keep this in mind

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%