Fall Wedding (W/ A Theme?)

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm by mckaren

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 8

I haven't yet asked the MOB if she would be interested in a wedding & a groom's cake. If she is it will solve my problem, but if not then I've not gotten a great idea.

The bride doesn't live here & told her mom to suprise her. Her mom is wanting more of a themed cake (like w/ bdays) but isn't "sold" on it.

This is what she emailed.

Probably white icing
Wedding is Fall colors
B & G gratuated w/ honors from a local college, both are teachers
Traveled to Germany & Sweden
Traveling to Nicaraguain Dec & honeymooning in Spain & Portugal next summer

My idead was a white stacked w/ clusters of leaves/acorns/berries on each tier (counter balancing) w/ maybe a suitcase on one tier, books on another & a flag drapped on another. I thought of gumpaste initals for a topper

I just don't have a great idea if she's wanting to incorporate things into the wedding cake. I am hoping to meet w/ her next week, but would like to have a few ideas when I do.

Thanks in advance

7 replies
nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

Do you know how much she's willing to spend? That's probably a major factor in how detailed you get. Plus, not sure how much work you want to put into it.

I'm not the greatest at designing cakes, but this first thing that comes to mind for a "theme" cake with the ideas she's given you is:

bottom tier - a suitcase with travel stickers

middle tier - a book and maybe an apple balancing on one of the corners

Top tier - Either a pile of fall leaves, with some "falling" off the sides and a few scattered on the bottom two tiers and an initial topper. Or maybe a tree with their initials carved in it with fall leaves falling from it and scattered around the base of the tree & top tier.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

If she doesn't want both, maybe she'd go for incorporating the 'elements' all on the topper...

something like this

http://www.magicmud.com/Weddin174.jpg

standing on top of suitcases w/ the flags somehow situated about them

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 8

dandelion56602:

This design sound interesting. I know it'll be beautiful! Don't forget to post pictures. I can't wait to see it!!!!

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 8

I too was thinking about a suitcase (this is why i'm hoping for a groom's cake icon_smile.gif ). But she said white icing, this is what made me think she's wanting to incorporate aspects and not have the entire cake be "whimsical" (her words).

I like the idea of incorporating everything into a topper too, but if you guys have any more ideas I'll take them b/c I want as many ideas as I can get before I meet her

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

How about this? You could have the bride and groom sitting on the edge of the middle or bottom tier and on the top could be some suitcases, maybe plane tickets.

http://www.heatherscakes.co.uk/autumn-leaves-wedding-cake/

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/fall-wedding-cake-2-2007-09-29.htm

Personally, I would tell her that so many themes on a cake will look far too busy and disjointed to the eye. Give her a limit of 2 themes. Ie, fall cake, and topper can be bride and groom with cases, OR teacher theme, OR graduation theme.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

We met this weekend & she decided to go w/ a bridal & grooms cake. Yay! Unless the dd changes her mind the bridal cake will have orchids & the grooms cake will be a suitcase w/ elements made from fondant

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Phew!! That takes some of the pressure off! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%