12X12 Cracked Cake Help

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 5:11pm by CraveBakery

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I am working with a 12x12 cake, and the one of the sections has cracked in multiple places. I am having to rebake the 2nd tier again becuase of issues as well. I can't freeze these cakes becuase I don't have time, or freezer room. They are very difficult to work with.

My question is the cracked cake (cracked in the center with two runs coming out of it) can i put that one on the bottom and put 4 dowles in it and a cake plate inbetween for structure? Also the (cake plate) is that a the cardboard cakes plates that we put under cakes or something different.

Help! icon_sad.gif

5 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 6

Larger cakes are always trickier to work with. If it's just a crack or two and isn't falling apart in several places, I would just "glue" the cracks together with icing and stack as normal. I've had large layers crack on me before too, and as long as it's not crumbing apart, I always just glue the cracks together. I just stack as normal with dowels, so I think it should be okay.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 6

Are you leveling that cake before turning it out of the pan? If there is any "dome" at all on a cake that size just turning it out may cause it to crack.

CraveBakery Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 6

no how can I level the cakes before turning it out of the pan. I do smoosh it down, but this one does have a dome.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 6

For larger cakes 12 inches or larger, I always use either a cake board or cutting board to move it around, turn it over, stack layers, etc. The more you try to handle it...by hand, the greater the instability and jostling will be, the greater your chances of breaking the cake. If you have a dome that is beneath the lip of you pan, I would smoosh it down. Then turn it out by placing a cake board or other flat surface on top of it and then flip it over. You might try foam core as a cake board as well. That helps with stability too since it will not bend like cardboard does.

CraveBakery Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 6

do i have to cover foam board with something if it's directly on my cake?

also can I use that inbetween my layers? to it's this is a display cake and i need to to be as stable and level as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%