Freezing Or Refridgeration???

Baking By mamakiddx3 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 12:42am by UpAt2am

mamakiddx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakiddx3 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 8

Morning,
I am just starting out...very much just starting out. I really want a home cupcake business but I need to get some recipes under my belt first. (At least that is where I think I need to start). If I make a recipe but then want to try different frostings, buttercreams, decorations, etc on them, I don't want to use the whole batch for just one thing. So my question is can I make a batch of....chocolate for example....and then either bake and then freeze until I can decorate more in a different way or should/can I just store 1/2 the batter in the fridge for awhile, (how long) and then use it when I'm ready to decorate again? I hope this make sense. I just can't keep making full batches of cupcakes every couple days or so just to decorate and make different frosting/buttercream recipes. How to you practice and learn new recipes without ending up with hundreds of cupcakes for just your family? Thanx again. You guys are always a big help.

7 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 8

I would bake a full batch of cuppies and put the extra in a zip lock or tupperware style container and put in the freezer. That way the extra batter is out of the way and all the dishes and pans are done at one time. They freeze great. But you can refrigerate or freeze the batter, a number of cakers at the Wilton forum experimented with this last year. But then you will have to get the pans dirty, run the oven again, etc. As far as extra cuppies, you can give to neighbors, bring to work, take to friends, etc. I like having cuppies in the freezer and taking a few along whenever I get together with friends or when volunteering. They LOVE me when I do it. As far as practicing decorating, you really don't have to do it on a cupcake, you can just decorate the upside down cupcake pan. Put it on some non-skid mesh so the pan doesn't slide around. No, it isn't quite the same but good enough to practice. You can decorate, scrape it off and reuse the same icing over and over again. Just don't let it set so long that it crusts.

mamakiddx3 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thanx for the reply. So basically, you bake cupcakes and then freeze them. Do you freeze them with the frosting/buttercream, fondant, etc on them or do you freeze them plain? If they are plain, how long do you thaw them before you frost them? Thank you so much for the idea of practicing decorating. I NEVER would have thought of using the pan upside down. This way I can practice alot with different things. Do you have a business? When you started how many different kinds of cupcakes did you make before you started? Although, after I get my recipes down, I still have a problem with the fact that I can't use my kitchen so I'm not really sure what my next step will be. I just figure do one step at a time I guess and hopefully, soon, I will get there. Thanx again for all your suggestions. You really helped me get over the first snag.....with many more to come, I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

denetteb Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:38am
post #4 of 8

I don't have a business and in my state, MN, can't have anything in my home without a separate kitchen, etc. I just do it for fun. I also don't work with fondant so can't address that part of your question. I have frozen cuppies both with icing and without. Either way works fine. I actually prefer having them frosted cause then I can just grab them and go cause they are all done. I don't thaw them at all before icing. I just start right away. And they thaw really quickly so if you do want them thawed before you work with them it really takes very little time. Good luck with your recipe testing, remember to have fun with it!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 8

i freeze my batter all the time. I make 20 lb batches of batter at a time and then bake a ton of cakes and then whatever batter is left over goes straight into the freezer in the same container it was mixed in. when i go to bake the next week, i pull it out to thaw and it's perfect every single time.

mamakiddx3 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you both so much for your input. Just one more thing.....how long can I freeze the cupcakes and/or batter? Thank you again for you help. Can't wait to get this going but it's frustrating when you keep hitting walls. Thanx again. Jennifer

denetteb Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 8

I have had them frozen for a month with no change noticed. I haven't had a need to have them frozen longer than that. I would say the batter would be fine for that long also. And probably longer than that for both baked cuppies and batter. Next time you make a batch, stick a couple in the back of the freezer and take one out at different periods and see what you think.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 8

batter can stay frozen for a long time! i've never gone more than a week just b/c of the nature of my business, but i know it could go weeks just fine. i highly recommend freezing the batter rather than freezing already baked cupcakes just b/c there's no additional wrapping, storage, etc. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%