Jem Alphabet Cutters - Help Please! (I'm Desperate...!)

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm by Coral3

Coral3 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:20am
post #1 of 9

I have these cutters:

...which I really love the font style of...BUT I have never been able to use them. I have success with Tappits, but these things are little and you can't give them a good whack on the bench to get the letter out, and trying to ease the letters out with a toothpick or similar just mangles them. Its so frustrating because I desperately want to be able to use them, but cant for the life of me figure out what Im missing. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

So pretty please... can anyone let me in on the trick to them?!

8 replies
eve81 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 10:22am
post #2 of 9

roll the fondant out really thin (as thin as you can get it!) then leave it sitting for about 5 mins or so til it starts to harden a little and then try the letter cutters. thats what works for me and it was the good citizens of cake central that helped me! icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 9

I do exactly the same as Eve81, but for an added precaution, give the paste a light dusting with ps.

You MUST use gumpaste, straight fondant wont work for them. Also if they are stuck use a fine needle to lift it out of the mould.

HTH!

Loucinda Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 9

Put a piece of saran wrap over the gumpaste/fondant before cutting, then cut. Lift off the saran wrap - and use a palette knife to lift the letters!

eve81 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:47am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Put a piece of saran wrap over the gumpaste/fondant before cutting, then cut. Lift off the saran wrap - and use a palette knife to lift the letters!

Great tip! i'll try it out. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:26am
post #6 of 9

using the cling film is an excellent tip!! it really does work! it allows you to get a perfect cut without the paste getting all clogged up in the cutter! I do this when i use my tappits too!

suzylynn58 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:38am
post #7 of 9

So you put the film over the rolled out gumpaste and then cut throught the film? am I understanding that right?

Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:28am
post #8 of 9

It never cuts through the saran wrap, you just lift it off after you make the cut for the letters.

Coral3 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the tips everyone...I'll give them another go & try the plastic wrap idea. Fingers crossed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%