I Have A Fun Idea But Don't Know If It's Going To Work!

Decorating By swiissmiss Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm by swiissmiss

swiissmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swiissmiss Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:14am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, this is my very first post icon_smile.gif

For my friend's birthday i was planning on making a 3 layer vanilla sponge cake with a buttercream or vanilla curd filling (any comments?) while the top of the third layer i would hollow out (leaving a 1/2 inch or so wall) and first glaze everything with a milk chocolate ganache and then fill the "bucket" with the buttercream/curd and chopped oreo cookies.

I hope this makes sense. I am terrible at drawing things, or else I would have uploaded a picture hehe.

Plus, do you think if I prepare the cake ahead all the way to the covering with chocolate ganache, can I keep it in the fridge for 24 hours before taking it to the party?

Thanks a ton for your help!!

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds interesting! The first thing I would change is the "1/2 inch wall". That's never going to work. Your wall will need to be a minimum of an inch thick, if not thicker. And make sure your cake is well chilled before hollowing it out. Then, pop it back in the frig or freezer before proceeding to the next step. The wall will be very fragile.

I don't see why you couldn't keep the cake in the frig for 24 hours. Unless you happen to have 12 pounds of chopped onions in there. icon_wink.gif

swiissmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swiissmiss Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 3

haha ok I'll take the onions out icon_wink.gif thanks for your opinion! good tip about cooling it first, I probably wouldn't have done that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%