Baby Shower Brunch - I Am Stumped!

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 16 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 19

I am throwing a shower for a friend and also planned on doing the cake. We decided to do a brunch because of scheduling issues, so now I am wondering what I should do? Cake seems a little much for brunch, but I want her to have a pretty cake at the shower. I thought about cake alternatives, or cookies and a small cake?

Any thoughts?

18 replies
Corrie76 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #2 of 19

Maybe try Cake Balls. At a brunch, you are right that a piece of cake or cupcake might not be the most appropriate-- but a cake ball is a small bite size portion that seems not quite as over the top....plus you can still throw a little decoration on them where you couldn't really do that with muffins or scones or other brunchy-type goodies.
Another thought is making cookies and perhaps present them wrapped so that the guests would have the option of eating it right then and there or saving it for a later time to eat.

mbark Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 19

maybe a lighter flavor like lemon with fresh raspberries or white with strawberries & whipped cream?

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 19

I think you should still have a cake, just a light cake like mbark says.

I went to a brunch shower where we also had madeleines since they're the cakiest of cookies. They were so beautiful. They had been brushed, an outer outline with syrup and then pink sugar.

You might even be able to incorporate them into the cake.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/ocean-inspired-cakes?lpgStart=1¤tslide=5¤tChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs

We had mimosas as drinks, which you can also substitute with some champagne punch.

I absolutely love brunches.

sillywabbitz Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 19

It's always a good time for cake. We do lots of brunch showers and almost always still have a cake. I agree a lighter flavor is good. You could do Macsmom's mimosa cake...that's very brunchyicon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 19

Well, originally mommy requested just vanilla as she has had some digestion issues icon_smile.gif - I had thought about lemon something though. Do you think it would be too much if I did a small cake just to be pretty, and made some awesome cookies like you said?

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 19

Here's sort of what we had...

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/rose-water-madeleines

I love madeleines only because if there's no cake, I can still feel like I'm eating cake (well, no frosting, but still very close)

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 19

OOh, those are very pretty, though this is a for a boy after 3 girls so we want this to be all boy! They are very feminine looking but gorgeous!

KJ62798 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 19

I would still do a small pretty cake in a light flavor. Even if the meal is a brunch, by the time everyone eats, plays games and the mommy opens gifts it will be early afternoon which is perfect for cake & coffee or tea.

Kristy

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:19am
post #10 of 19

You only have to change the sugar to light blue!

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:20am
post #11 of 19

I mean the shape and look of them is feminine, or beach like maybe? I didn't mean the color icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:21am
post #12 of 19

Did you see this little boy birthday cake?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1815124

I LOVE the argyle and the basic style could easily be adapted for a shower. The bee & number cut-out could be replaced by a teddy bear and onsie w/the argyle pattern in shades of blue or blue & green or brown.

Kristy

EDIT--You could do sugar cookies of onsies & bears to match the cake design.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:22am
post #13 of 19

I remember very pretty rounds of cake (lemon) with a little bit of buttercream on the sides, that were rolled in coconut, then a tiny bit of buttercream was piped on top and on top of the buttercream, a fondant circle with some design done in royal icing.

I think they were from a Mich Turner book, so I have to look tomorrow at the office. I'll PM you if I find it and can send you the scan. They were so pretty and elegant, light and soft.

LKing12 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:23am
post #14 of 19

What about petite fours?

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:33am
post #15 of 19

I had thought about doing petite fours but it is basically the same thing - a slice of cake or a bite of cake/dessert. I don't mind making a beautiful cake, I just want to have something mommy & guests will enjoy & not have a big cake that goes to waste. I am pretty good at cookies though, decorating with fondant or otherwise. You all have had great ideas - thank you!

It is a specific theme - matching the baby's room - cars, trucks, planes, boats, in light blue, dark blue, and basic green. I think if I do a cake I probably would do some of the stuff in fondant and some stripes in matching colors. Probably the same thing with cookies.

imaginethatnj - thank you - I would definitely like to see that!

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #16 of 19

I found a preview of the book in Google Books. it's the rounds of cake with rounds of fondant with royal icing butterflies on them.

I made them once in just vanilla and rolled them in toasted cake crumbs, and replaced the butterfly with a monogram/letter over the circle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1903221897/?tag=cakecentral-20

Look inside till you get to the mini cake rounds. They're two inches I think.

I thought about petit fours, like LKing12 said, but they are kind of a pain to make if you're going to cover them in the liquid fondant.

Renaejrk Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:44am
post #17 of 19

Those are fantastic! Stunning!

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:51am
post #18 of 19

I think those are a perfect bite of cake, frosting and can be decorated. You almost don't need instructions. They don't look that beautiful on that preview because the colors are bad on the scan.

I couldn't do her recipe because she had some crazy coconut ingredient that I looked all over for and couldn't find in the US!

A friend of mine in the UK said that it was very common there. It was creamed coconut. She said it was like a bar of soap and it was all made of coconut. I found coconut cream and all the variations, but not creamed coconut.

I just found it. lol.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00113ZZ5U/?tag=cakecentral-20

Maybe I'll try her cake recipe after all. Her cakes are so expensive in the UK!

http://www.lvcc.co.uk/christening-cakes.asp

I'll PM you tomorrow and send you the instructions just in case. I have the book on my desk.

Renaejrk Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 19

OK, mommy told me she just wanted cake and not to worry about it being brunch time icon_smile.gif Thank the Lord because I was sick 2 days before and the day of the shower!!! My daughter helped me get it baked and I already had icing, filling, and modeling chocolate made earlier. I kept it pretty simple and mimicked the bedding for the bedroom. My pics are too big on here so I have to do some editing before I can add it to the gallery though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%