It's Like Pool Chalk!

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 8

So I'm rolling out hundreds of mini fondant grapes ... don't ask! All you fellow cakers know what that's about. Anyway, as I'm rolling, I'm coating my hands in powdered sugar to get a smooth, non-sticky roll going (didn't want to use shortening because my MMF was a little sticky and seemed like it needed more PS to get it to dry up, in addition to the Gum Tex I already added).

Everything seemed fine. Every once in a while I had to rinse and dry my hands because I would get a crumby film of sugar on them which was transferring to my grapes.

Then I remembered that some CCers use cornstarch instead of PS to roll out fondant. (I know some don't like to roll out with PS OR Cornstarch because of the drying out and possible elephant skin, but I needed some dryness here so it was okay).

I remembered a tip from a fellow CCer about using a nylon knee sock filled with Cornstarch to dust with (thank you whomever you are!!!) So I did, and it was awesome!

So I'll stop rambling and get to the point! I never understood why some prefer cornstarch to PS since PS is a main ingredient in MMF. Well the consistency is so much smoother, it's like silk and really keeps things from sticking, whereas PS is sugar, so of course tends to get sticky.

I powdered my hands with the cornstarch filled sock (reminded me of pool chalk) and rolled those grapes out in no time. Twice as fast as the ones I rolled out earlier with PS! Maybe even faster.

Wow! icon_lol.gif Just had to share.

7 replies
all4cake Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 8

I agree! After so long, the heat from your hands tends to heat the ps up and it melts and becomes sticky. Such a drag having to wash your hands every so often to get rid of the build up...ugh.

(I don't know what all the mini fondant grapes is about. I won't ask. I'll just wait for the photo I hope you share!)

TabbieCakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:22am
post #3 of 8

I will definitely share! At least I'll try to!!! I haven't been able to upload a picture in ages, no matter what tips or tricks my fellow CCers pass along. I've gotten so much better a caking since finding this site, but haven't been able to share a thing. It's so FRUSTRATING icon_cry.gif

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I agree! After so long, the heat from your hands tends to heat the ps up and it melts and becomes sticky. Such a drag having to wash your hands every so often to get rid of the build up...ugh.

(I don't know what all the mini fondant grapes is about. I won't ask. I'll just wait for the photo I hope you share!)

All4cake - I just posted the pic though it takes some time to show up in the gallery. It's an ode to "Allris", another CCer who's original materpiece I've admired for some time. Turns out I rolled too many grapes and had lots leftover! LOL! [I would post the picture here, but don't know how, so if you want to see, go to my gallery.] Hope you like it.

luddroth Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 8

Just checked out the cake and it's great! Congrats.

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you icon_lol.gif

Susie53 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 8

Wow...that's a beautiful cake!!!

TabbieCakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%