Gingham Fabric Effect?

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to make a Union Jack cake, but instead of doing it as a straight flag I would love to do it more like a quilt, something like this:

Do any of you bright people out there have any idea of how I can achieve a gingham effect?

4 replies
mandymakescakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 5

Paint stripes with thinned gel color in one direction, then paint stripes perpendicular to the first set. Where the stripes overlap, the color will be darker. I used this process (quickly and far from perfectly, should have thinned the color more) on "Rylee", but I think the idea behind it is sound and it's an easy theory to test/practice.

On the wings, you can see that my color is too 'thick' in both directions.⊂=1733238


CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know if you own an airbrush, but there was a very nice example of a plaid shirt that was made by airbrushing the effect. I've been searching for it, but haven't been able to locate it yet.

dailey Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 5

just google "how to paint gingham stripes" and you can used the same concept with the food gels. I painted my daughters bed room set this way and it was actually much easier then i thought..

BakingGirl Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I did not get reply notifications so I just saw this, thankfully it is still time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%