How Much Do I Charge A Bakery For My Service?

Business By shelle01 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 12:13am by Unlimited

shelle01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelle01 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone....

I have been making cakes for my children for the last couple of years. A local bakery had seen some of my work and asked if I would be willing to work on a contract basis to decorate cakes for them. The owner would make the cakes and then provide all the ingredients necessary to decorate. Therefore, I only need to charge for my labor.

In my research, I only see help with deciding how much to charge for a whole cake - no information on just how to price for my work. Please feel free to take a look at the pictures. So far, the cakes are a combination of sculpted as well as simply frosted.

I thought it would be very sporadic, however I have been given 3 orders already in a week to work on. So I need to come up with a way to calculate this fast!

Any ideas???
Thanks,
Michelle

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 3

If ingredients are already provided, I'd say $20-30/hour depending on your skill level and the cost of living in your area.

Be sure you have a contract signed by both parties before you start doing work.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 3

I say aim high and see what transpires.

When I subcontracted my wedding cake only services for another business, they paid for 100% of everything and the base price that was paid was split 50/50 with additional charge options being paid directly to me, plus they also had to deliver everything.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%