Tappits Or Other Alphabet Cutters

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm by EvMarie

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 16

I needed a way to add a name to a cake this past weekend and didn't have the tools to do it. I want to invest in cutters but I see there are many fonts and brands of alphabet cutters out there.
What do you all prefer and recommend? Is there a complete set or are upper and lower case always sold separately? Which font is the most often used?

15 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 16

The font most often use is the one you have.

I like the tappits italic style letters. Don't remember if i bought two sets, but i have both upper and lower case letters.

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:49am
post #3 of 16

Can these be found at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Joann's? If so, which section? I didnt see them in the cake, clay, or scrapbooking section when I checked Hobby Lobby

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:19am
post #4 of 16

I like the funky FMM tapits. They are larger than others and are a cute design which is great for birthdays. You have to buy the upper set and the lower set, I don't think they come as one pack but when I bought them the seller offered discount if I bought both.

I bought mine online.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:05am
post #5 of 16

I have the funky & script FMM tappits. I bought them online as well. I think the script tappits upper & lower came in one pack & the funky were actually two sets. One for lower and one for upper. Both styles come with numbers as well.

I'm not sure which ones are used more. I'd say the more fun fonts. I think there would be more writing on fun cakes than elegant cakes. The only thing I don't like is the script tappits I have are a bit small. I do like the funky tappits cuz they are larger. So you just have to adjust the design a bit.

For example, I made monogram sugar cookies with the script tappits last week. The design was meant to be on a larger cookie...but it didn't look right. So, I decided to market them as "mini's" and they look so much cuter as a smaller cookie. And, people love them for thier wedding receptions. A classic look.

On the flip side, I just made a birthday cake. I used the funky tappits on the cake base & it looked perfect. Big...chunky...fun.

They take a tiny bit of practice. You just gotta remember...what ever your "cutting" needs to be rolled thin enough. If you are taking your time, it's not hard. I use a combo of marshmellow fondant and rolled buttercream...and I'm new to mixing that. So, sometimes the consistency isn't right. I have to brush on a tiny bit of shortening to the tappit I'm using so it doesn't stick. Or....on the other end of the spectrum....maybe sprinkle and rub in a tiny bit of powdered sugar. The recipe I use just says to mix in enough powdered sugar to get to the texture of fondant. Wellllll, I'm not exactly sure what that is. So - just don't get frustrated if your fondant/fondant alternative is off a bit. Just work with it. icon_smile.gif

shearpamela Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the input on the Tappits - I will look for them online. Is there a certain reseller that is best? I think the bigger size would be easier to work with. I was wanting to do a monogram on one of my cakes and they would have been perfect!
I heard they were difficult to work with, that is one reason I don't have them - I hesitated.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 16

I have all of them..Funky,Block Script etc...I use the funky the most though as I mostly do kids cakes...They do take time to use properly but once you figure that out they work great.They are not large enough for a monogram though as the are only about 1 inch high...

shearpamela Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 16

I went ahead and ordered the Funky upper and lower case Tappits - I can't wait to try them out!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 16

im sorry but i hate the tappits, i have tried everything, gumpaste, fondant, let dry, dont let dry, cornstarch..ect and i cannot get them out of there shape without denting and tearing, have never been able to use them...i just saw a new maker of tappit style but they have a push thing in the back that pushes them out, im saving up! for those!..

anyone have any suggestions for my tappits, im open icon_smile.gif

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 16

Shearpamela, good luck with them. Don't get discouraged if you can't get them to work on the first try. There is a lot of trial and error on the letters.

shannycakers, have you rolled it really thin? You may have tried this, but I roll whatever I am using really thin. I cut little squares of wax paper. I cut a square of fondant/gumpaste and put it on the wax paper. I then press the tappit really hard on the letter and then I push on the back of the letter (behind the wax paper) to make sure that the letter has gone all of the way through. I let the letter dry before moving it. I have found that leaving them to dry on the wax paper makes it so that they don't stretch out of shape.

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 16

I use many different ones including tappits. When I use any of the font cutters I always lightly Trex the cutter before using and always use flowerpaste. Another set I really like is the Jem set.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 16

I love the Tappits, but they can be hard to deal with sometimes. I use Satin Ice fondant on a well powdered surface, roll it out fairly thin, but not so thin that it becomes brittle after. I used to add Tylose, but didn't like how fragile they became, now I don't add anything at all. After I roll it out (I use a small Wilton roller with the smallest ring guides I have - pink) I let it sit for a few minutes then just before I use the impression, I lightly coat the fondant with crisco to make sure it releases easily - I don't even have to "Tap it" to get my letters out. I lift the tappit and my letter stays on my surface and since it's well powdered, I can lift them easily with my spatula or palette knife. Then I lay them flat on top of a piece of cardboard with parchment paper and store them in a ziplock baggy till I need them. HTH

My fav is the Funky Letter Style, mainly because of the size of the letters. I wish they made more diverse fonts in larger sizes. They look so nice on cake boards.

EvMarie Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the detailed description of how you use the tappits. I will try a bit of corn starch on the wax paper. I haven't had a ton of trouble with them sticking....but I don't exactly "tap" anything out anywhere....

I roll the MMF/RBC recipe I use for fondant out....fairly thin. It's thin enough that it doesn't mooosh through the top of the tappit tool once pushed down. (You will for sure be picking it out) I cut strips of fondant...then, lay on wax paper. Then, I use a food safe paint brush or a paper towel and apply a tiny bit of veg shortening. The letters normally stay on the surface. I let dry over night and apply to cookies normally. But, I do apply to cake base as well.

I do find that I have to use an exacto knife to clean away the rest of the unused fondant. I also take a damp brush to "de-fuzz" any edges. Butttt, I think I'll try the "under the wax paper" trick from awatterson. It may help keep the letters "clean".

Thanks everyone for sharing!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 16

Global sugar art has the new letter set with the plunger on the back. Windsor letters or something like that. I have all the tappits, but i find them rather finicky to work with.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:57am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

I do find that I have to use an exacto knife to clean away the rest of the unused fondant. I also take a damp brush to "de-fuzz" any edges. Butttt, I think I'll try the "under the wax paper" trick from awatterson. It may help keep the letters "clean".

Thanks everyone for sharing!

You get the fuzziness because it's not rolled thin enough, I found this out through trial and error.

I tried the crisco method to keep it stuck to the surface but I prefer the PS method of getting it to stick inside the tappit and then tap it out.

This video is good

EvMarie Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 16

LisaPeps - thanks for the link. I just never got around to figuring it out. I do have some breakage the way I do it. So, when I make monograms I always make about 10 extra just in case.

Maybe I'll have to get one of those Wilton rolling pins with a guides. It may help me roll it thin enough & evenly.

I will check the video out for sure! Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%