Help! How Do I Carve A Beret Cake?!?!?!?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm by lanana

CiNoRi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys,

I was about to start carving a cake to look like a Military Beret, wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I have 2 layers roughly an inch and a half tall, 8inch rounds. Do you have any input on how to carve them?

Thanks!!!!!

6 replies
anmnewlin1 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 7

I did a beret 50 cal. Go look at my pics as I do not know how to post in the forums. I made mine standing up. I made it for a 15 year old who wants to go into the Marines.

LisaPeps Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

Partially freeze them before you do carve.. it makes for less crumbs.

It's easier to do little and often then chunks and have to "glue" them back on if you go wrong.

Have some pictures of what you want the end result to look like at different angles and keep referring to them whilst you work.

LisaPeps Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

Anmnewlin1 I think the OP means a beret as in a hat? I could be mistaken though.

But.. I need to make a gun like yours, do you have tutorials or pics of the support you used?

TIA

LisaPeps Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

Anmnewlin1 I think the OP means a beret as in a hat? I could be mistaken though.

But.. I need to make a gun like yours, do you have tutorials or pics of the support you used?

TIA

CiNoRi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, a hat. I want it to sit flat but still look full like as if being worn.

Thanks

lanana Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 7

First you need to bake a cake sturdy enough to be easy to carve and that hold the shape. I always bake the cake i am going to carve like 2 or 3 days before and I use the wasc recipe. Before starting to carve you can freeze it a little bit that will help you with the crumbs (really messy ). I will use a round and tall cake and I will have a real beret or many pictures from different sides. you have to be careful about proportion and never throw away what ever you are cutting out of cake. Is not really easy to carve a cake but it really helps to have the object you want to reproduce in front of you. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%