Gumpaste/fondant Balls

Decorating By Amylou Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm by Bonabee

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 8

Everytime I make balls out of fondant/gumpaste I get lines/cracks in it...not because it's cracking from drying but from rolling the shape. Even if I knead it well, I still get them. What the trick?

7 replies
808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 8

Amylou,
Try this tutorial

" rel="nofollow">

I don't have the patience, but maybe it'll work for you. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 8

You have to start with a crack free ball. Really push and roll the fondant between your palms to get a smooth crack free ball, then lighten up the pressure to shape into a ball.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:19am
post #4 of 8

My trick is to microwave the fondant (mixed w/ tylose) first, then roll it into a ball...not a single crack.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8

I always have the same problem!!!! It's been bugging me, too! Thank you for asking! icon_biggrin.gif

Bonabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonabee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

My trick is to microwave the fondant (mixed w/ tylose) first, then roll it into a ball...not a single crack.

How much tylose should you put in fondant to make figures from it?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 8

Whenever I'm asked this, I feel bad that I can't give a more helpful answer, but it really is by feel, for me...I sprinkle it straight from the jar into the fondant in my hand and begin to blend it in. If it feels too soft I add a little more, if I've put too much, I add more fondant.

Dark colored fondant will require more than light, and I always add it right before I model something...I don't have it mixed in before-hand.

Bonabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonabee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 8

I think your answer was very helpful! I'll just have to play around with it. Thanks for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%