Fondant Number Topper Help!!

Decorating By werepullen5 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm by TrixieTreats

werepullen5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
werepullen5 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Ok So I tried making one of those really cute fondant numbers that stand on top of a cake. I used MMF and it didn't work. What do I use? Gum paste? I've never worked with gum paste before. Please share any tips. I know how to attach it and make it stand up.

Thanks so much!!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, i usually make mine with all g/p. It is just so much stronger. Leave to dry over night. At least , that is what i do.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 5

What I do is about half fondant and half gumpaste. Make sure you let it dry over night. (with pokers already in it)

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 5

I mix MMF with some gumpaste and it dries great! I don't have an exact ratio though. I would say roughly half & half.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 5

You can use MMF if you add tylose. That will make it dry faster and harder. Or you can use all gumpaste or 50/50 fondant gumpaste. Just make sure you give it a good couple days to dry out completely, literally no less than 24 hours. I like to insert a lollipop stick or skewer into the number or letter keeping in mind where the support will be most needed. Then you can insert it right into the cake where you want it. For thinner numbers and letters, I have added a skewer to the back by placing it where it cannot be seen from the friot, then added a strip of gumpaste over the skewer connecting it to the number/letter (like sandwich it), letting it dry flat. Just allow additional drying tome for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%