Ok, I Really Suck. Now What?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 4

I am in the process of doing my (only) second stacked cake. It's 2 layers of 8" rounds (torted and filled into 4 layers), and then a 6" layer on top - torted/filled into 2 layers. I didn't think this through (I know, I know... icon_mad.gif ), and screwed up. I did the crumb coating for the 8" layers, and then the 6" layers. I used the wide straws for stacking, and put the top layer on top. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO FROST IT NOW WITH THE VIVA METHOD NOW THAT THE TOP LAYER IS ALREADY ON TOP????????????????

In all honesty, my original plan was to make a melted chocolate wrap for the sides. Since I'm going to have a nasty top now (won't be smooth due to the top layer), I'm thinking that both the 8" and the 6" layers will have the chocolate wrap, and have it go higher than the cake edge. That way I can fill the top with something to cover my screw up? Will this work?

3 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 4

Just pull the top tier off. You can leave the straws in the bottom tier. Frost as you normally would, when it is all smoothed to your satisfaction, go back the an angled spatula and make the indentation where your top tier will sit...down to the height of your straws. Cake is more forgiving than you'd think.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 4

Do the chocolate wrap with a 1/2 lip on top and then shave chocolate curls and let them sit within the top. Looks, elegant and solves your frosting problem. No worries!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 4

I'm going to follow both of these suggestions. I did take the top layer off, but left the straws in the 8" layers. I like the idea of the chocolate curls on top, so plan on doing that as well.

Just when I think I can do a FEW things in cake decorating, I get a smack on the side of the head to show me just how much of a novice I really am......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%