How Do I Make This Cake Design?

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm by LisaPeps

rhopar33 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow CC'ers:

I have a bride who has requested the following cake and I am not sure how to make the scrolls. I hope you don't need the Cricut or some fancy machine because I really cant afford one right now.

Any help, suggestions is greatly appreciated. Here is the link for the cake:

6 replies
Donnagardner Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

This very cake was a topic for discussion on here not long ago and most say the scroll design was piped on. Gooad luck with it.

Herekittykitty Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 7

It looks to me like it is either piped in dark chocolate ganache or dark chocolate... due to the variations in thickness throughout.

rhopar33 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 7

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out how best to do it. The bride wants the scroll work done in a soft lavendar color. Could I make this work using buttercream?

LisaPeps Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 7

These cakes are similar

As you can see it is piped.

Buttercream or RI or tinted tempered white chocolate (or ganache)

What are you covering your cake with fondant or buttercream?

rhopar33 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the links to those two pics. I will be using buttercream for the main frosting on the cake. I may just have to play around with tempured choc or buttercream to see what happens.

My only concern with the choc is the rounded edges/tops of the cake. I fear it make crack/break during travel.

LisaPeps Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 7

If you are covering in buttercream you are better to do your swirls in buttercream. Just watch out with the ribbon that the grease in the buttercream doesn't discolour it.

White chocolate and RI would work better with fondant covered cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%