Have You Every Tried Toba Garrets Fondant Recipe?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm by sberryp

sberryp Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 12

I am thinking about using Toba Garret's fondant recipe because I noticed that gylcrian is optional. Can you share your experience with this fondant?

11 replies
ALR1955 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 12

Where did you see the recipe?

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 12

I want to try it too. I do have glycerin in my pantry though just in case. I hope it's elastic enough. I thought glycerin was added for elasticity in other recipes, but maybe because this one has gelatin it will be OK.

ALR1955, the recipe is in her book, but I found someone posted it at Cake Central:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

Malakin Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 12

I tried the one in her book, "The Well Decorated Cake". I like the recipe but I used the glycerin.

icer101 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 12

I have tried it. I went right by the recipe. I did use glycerine. It worked great on my cake and tasted great. It was very pliable.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 12

Like Malakin, I would use the glycerin too. It prevents the fondant from drying out too quickly, I heard.

I'm checking to see if the recipe in Cake Central is accurate with the one in her book. I took it also from The Well Decorated Cake.

I have so many fondant recipes to try. There's also this other one, from one of our CC members' blog.

http://thatreallyfrostsme.com/

(In the June section)

I also have a DVD with Carrie's Cakes recipe, but haven't tried that one yet. She makes sure to tell the difference between Karo light corn syrup and glucose and that we should use the glucose instead.

Still haven't tried that one either.

pumpkinroses Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 12

It's the only recipe I use. I do use the glyercin and it always turns out great!

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you pumpkinroses. I'll do that one then. the other recipe (Michelle Foster's fondant) worries me because it has milk and no matter how people say that it doesn't need refrigeration, it still worries me.

ALR1955 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone for sharing. I will have to take a look at her book.

neecerator Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Like Malakin, I would use the glycerin too. It prevents the fondant from drying out too quickly, I heard.

I'm checking to see if the recipe in Cake Central is accurate with the one in her book. I took it also from The Well Decorated Cake.

I have so many fondant recipes to try. There's also this other one, from one of our CC members' blog.

http://thatreallyfrostsme.com/

(In the June section)

I also have a DVD with Carrie's Cakes recipe, but haven't tried that one yet. She makes sure to tell the difference between Karo light corn syrup and glucose and that we should use the glucose instead.

Still haven't tried that one either.

I took classes with Carrie Biggers and she taught us her Fabulous Fondant recipe, and we all made it in class. It's fantastic, uses glucose, and can be coloured or flavoured with any colour or flavour. Cheers.

sberryp Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

I tried the one in her book, "The Well Decorated Cake". I like the recipe but I used the glycerin.

That's the one I was talking about

sberryp Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks ladies for responding! I will have to buy some glycerin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%