Need Some Advice On Stenciling

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm by 808hedda

QueenJessica Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 11

I'll soon be stenciling a damask with black royal icing on white fondant for a wedding cake, and I need some major help. I have a practice cake in my pictures that I used with buttercream, but it turned out terrible.

Can anyone look at the pic and give me some tips?

Would anyone suggest spraying the stenciling onto the cake with colormist or duff's graffitti? (I do not have an airbrush)

10 replies
BARBARAJEAN Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 11

If you go up to Search and put on stenciling tutorial, you will see lots of good tutorials.

awatterson Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

Are you doing it on a square or a round? I think that the only thing that helps is lots of practice. When you do it on fondant I think that it will be easier though.

QueenJessica Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 11

It will be a round cake. I followed the tutorials, but I had a problem with the icing smudging.

sewsweet2 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 11

I only deal with crusted buttercream cakes. I can stencil a square cake by myself. I have done black buttercream stenciled on a white buttercream cake.

When I stencil a round cake, I have decided that I can only do it if:
I take my time and have DH help hold the stencil for me on the cake.

QueenJessica Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 11

Are there any tricks to getting the icing even? It seems that if I scrap the stencil clean too much comes off, but if I try to hold back it comes out very uneven.

awatterson Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 11

That's a really pretty cake sewsweet12.

sewsweet2 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 11

I use an old credit card to put the icing on and scrap the icing off. So far that has worked pretty well for me. I smear/scrap it off in the least amount of strokes necessary. When you remove the stencil put it directly away from the cake, don't let it shift or you smear your design.

When I do buttercream on buttercream, I thin my buttercream slightly before I use it to stencil. You don't want it really stiff and you don't want it runny.

Also want to add that when I did the black cake, the stencil was notlong enough for the tier so I stenciled it, and allowed it to dry several hours before I did the lace stencil next too it. It has to be allowed to dry or you will smear what you just stenciled. It just takes, TIME and PATIENCE!
You have to have a time line to do your cake.

For a round tier, I would do the front, allow to dry, then do the stenciling on both sides of the front stenciled part, allow to dry...and repeat.

Royal would probably need less drying time that buttercream.

chrisviz Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 11

I have done only one stencil cake and am just a hobby baker, but I too, like sewsweet2 I used a card to put on the RI and scrape off and it worked GREAT! I think it is easier to control than a angled spatula. I also had a family member help me hold the stencil in place... so recruit some help... Oh and also, I would stencil one section and let it harden a little before I stenciled the next section (it was a round cake) to prevent smearing.

QueenJessica Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for the tips. does anyone think the "spray paint" idea would work?

808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 11

I have never stenciled with BC or RI but I airbrush stenciled all the C's on my coach purses. What I found is that because the consistency of the medium you are using is much thinner, there is a tendency for it to run, especially if it is not sprayed evenly. I know you said you don't have an airbrush, but I don't think it would be too much different. The only time I didn't have a problem with the image not running, was when I used luster dust with the color. The luster dust gave it a thicker consistency. Hope that helps a little icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%