How Do I Get Fondant To Harden Faster?

Decorating By CrescentMoon Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 12:10am by CrescentMoon

CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a cake that is due Friday and last night I cut out the leaves for the trees and left them out to dry overnight. I added gum-tex to the fondant, but they are still as pliable as they were yesterday. It is very humid here due to all the rain, can that be causing them not to harden? If so, is there a way I can speed up the process?

10 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 11

I roll my accents very thin and add tylose and get super quick drying results. I also put them on my grid rack so air can circulate all around.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 11

You can leave them in the oven with only the light on until they are dry.
(make sure you post a note on the door NOT to preheat oven without l@@king inside first!)

CrescentMoon Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

You can leave them in the oven with only the light on until they are dry.
(make sure you post a note on the door NOT to preheat oven without l@@king inside first!)

Luckily I'm the only one in my house that even knows how the oven works! I'll give it a try and see if they will dry out.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I roll my accents very thin and add tylose and get super quick drying results. I also put them on my grid rack so air can circulate all around.

Do you add tylose after rolling thin?

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 11

I had that problem the night before my friend's wedding cake needed to be done too. I broke my giant flower right in half and had to make a new one.
You can turn the oven on to about 100 degrees (or as low as it goes) and put your decorations in there. I was paranoid I would melt the flower and have a heart attack so I checked on it way too much. but it still took about an hour to ry the whole flower (it was pretty big) It completely worked and the flower dried with plenty of time to attach it to the cake.
Hope it all works well for you!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 11

Alternatively you can use a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb and shine it on them. It has worked for me in the past when it was storming outside and all my flowers wilted. My oven has no pilot light.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 11

808hedda, You knead the tylose powder into your fondant before you roll it out and cut the leaves for flowers.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 11

That's what I thought but it never seems to get as hard as wiltons gumpaste. Is that normal? I add plenty of tylose. Thanks icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 11
CrescentMoon Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:10am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Another thread:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6439160&sid=bb131660c605dda272600ede5968cf7b

I heard a lot that you can use a food dehydrator.

I borrowed my mom's and it seems to be doing the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%