How To Make The Florence Pattern On This Cake

Decorating By NicoleRiley Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm by imagenthatnj

NicoleRiley Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:50am
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first wedding cake and i have to make the florence style pattern on the 3 tires. I have a rather shakey hand and want to know if there is a chocolate mould i could use to then just stick it on, not to use chcolate transfers as the pattern should be 3D as per cake attached. Please help with ideas

8 replies
cakes47 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry, no pic came through. Please try again!! icon_wink.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 9

Nicole, for a while there's been problems uploading a photo to the forums.

You could give us a link to where the photo is on the internet.

Or, if it's a photo in your hard drive, upload it momentarily to your gallery, of course saying that's not your cake in the description, and then delete it from your gallery since it's not your cake.

A link would be much better.

NicoleRiley Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:25am
post #4 of 9

Hi I'veloaded the picture on my photos. Thank you

LisaPeps Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 9

You should edit the description to "made by... using as an example" someone already thinks it is your cake...

I can't really see the scroll work that well as the picture is quite small

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 9

I was looking at it on an iPhone, so I could enlarge it. That's a lot of scroll work, over buttercream, with royal icing.

I don't think you'll get a chocolate mold with such thin lines, but you could try. I also think that if you make it with chocolate or even fondant, they might be too heavy and fall of the cake, especially if you attach them to buttercream.

Could you pipe the shapes separately with royal icing on waxed paper and then attach them later? That way they'll weigh less?

It looks a lot like the piping Toba Garrett does, where you pipe, then you pipe on top.

NicoleRiley Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:10am
post #7 of 9

Thank you for your advice - i think i'm oing to have my hands full with this cake i'll remove it from my photos - sorry i dont have a better picture of this its the only one the client provided i'll post it once i've completed.

julzs71 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 11:30am
post #8 of 9

You could do a template and then cover it with parchment paper or wax paper. Then you could use royal icing or fondant and let it dry. Then put it on your cake. I know you can get a stamp from Wilton that has a fleur-di-lis design. Good Luck

imagenthatnj Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 9

Nicole, there was another thread yesterday where I posted some links... to piping... and also ideas on maybe doing the scrolls on the side and then attaching them, as julzs71 suggested. That might be your best bet if you don't have a lot of practice.

The other poster was in a worse situation, since she had to pipe black on white buttercream, I think.

Here's the thread, someone at Flickr makes separate pieces of royal icing and her cakes are amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%