Strawberry Filling

Decorating By ckmom13 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm by bates123

ckmom13 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:43am
post #1 of 10

I have a cake to do this weekend with a strawberry filling. In the past I have done rasberry filling using polaner all fruit. A cake fell apart on me during delivery and it was a disaster! I don't know if it had anything to do with the fruit filling but I have been hesitant to use fruit preserves since. What is the best way to use a fruit filling? Thanks you for your responses in advance. The information I have received here has been so helpful!!

9 replies
lillidalla Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:07am
post #2 of 10

I've never used purchased fruit preserves, so I don't know if they compromise the structure of a stacked cake. I use the following recipe for strawberry filling and it's very good. If you're willing to take (or make) the time to do it from scratch, here it is: 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries (stemmed and roughly chopped), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch.....put all ingredients in a saucepan and cook (let mixture come to a boil) about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add a splash of fresh lemon juice. Stir several times while the filling cools. Good luck! P.S. I love the beach-themed anniversary cake in your photos!

ckmom13 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks lillidalla (i love your name!) No water in that recipe? It sounds good. About how much do you think I would need for a 12x18 cake?
Thanks for the compliment! I just did another beach themed wedding cake. I have to post more pictures.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 10

Make sure not to put to much gel based fillings between layers they tend to be not as stable and slide.

lillidalla Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 10

You'd probably need at least 2 batches for a cake that size. I always torte the cake, that is, I make a dam of buttercream at the edges before filling. You can purchase 2 regular sized baskets of strawberries and that will make twice the originally posted recipe (of course, double the other ingredients). No, I don't add water....if you find that yours is too firm to your liking, I would imagine that adding a bit of water would be okay. However, I would not do this after it has been removed from heat and cooled. (I would think that it might separate.) You could probably add the water in the final stages of cooking if it appears too thick. Mine comes out fine the way the recipe is listed. The strawberries break down in the cooking process and liquify somewhat when doing so.

lillidalla Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #6 of 10

One more thing...I meant to say hulled rather than stemmed (strawberries)in my original reply....it was too early for me to be totally coherent.

ckmom13 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 10

Thanks again lillidalla! PS Your cakes are beautiful!!

CakeCrystals Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 10

Here is another filling suggestion:

You can still use preserves if you like, but just add some whip cream and buttercream icing to the preserves. don't forget the icing dam though.

fruitsnack Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 10

I read on here somewhere (can't remember where now) that for a good easy fruit filling to take one jar of preserves and heat it and then add a box of jello (flavored with the same fruit). It is delicious and I would think it would be more stable than just straight preserves.

bates123 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 10

Someone on here advised me to heat a jar of Polanar all fruit and mix a box of strawberry jello. It's delicious and easy. I use it all of the time in my cakes, but I "butter" the layers with buttercream then dam the edges and fill with the all fruit and jello mixture. It's delicious and I have no problems with sliding at all. I just make sure to let the cakes "rest" before covering with fondant. It looks very professional and neat when you cut the cake.

Oh...the mixture is rather grainy when you first mix it, but as it sits it blends and looses the grainy texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%