Molding Chocolate

Decorating By Sobella Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm by tastyart

Sobella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sobella Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm definitely an amature when it comes to decorating, but I love it and trying to learn more!

In watching shows I hear that a lot of them use molding chocolate, however I can't find it anywhere. Does it go by a different name?

4 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 5

I think most people make theirs. I know I make mine. I use 10 oz candy melts and 1/3 cup corn syrup. Heat candy melts just til melted stirring til smooth. stir in corn syrup. At this point ppl will tell you different things. If I am going to use the chocolate soon I will put the mixture in a ziplock bag and place in fridge til firm. If not using til later I jkust leave it out at room temp. When working with it be prepared to wash your hande in cold water a lot. I usually have an ice pack and towel near by to keep my hands from being to warm. If it gets too greasy you have over worked it let it rest and come back. hth

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 5

Modeling chocolate is awesome. I've never seen it sold anywhere but it is easy to make. My recipe is similar to the one just mentioned. The beauty of modeling chocolate is that you don't have to wait for it to dry like you do with fondant. I love it!

Sobella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sobella Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 5

So I'm not going crazy! Thanks for the info!

Have you ever tried to use regular baking chocolate instead of the candy?

I can't wait to try this....fondant hasn't been working well when I try to get it to stand. But I also heard that gum paste is good for that. Haven't tried that yet wither.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 5

I've used baking chocolate and it worked fine, no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%