New At Fondant!!! I Need Hot Pink Color....and Black

Decorating By tat2edprincess Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 1:28pm by Sweetwise

tat2edprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat2edprincess Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:50am
post #1 of 14

I am making a topsy turvey cake first time....with fondant (first time) ...

it is music inspired and I have a great plan however...I am new to fondant and I am scared of it!!!!

I want hot pink, silver and black coloring. I think i can go with a raspberry color (pink and red)...I am never good with black with buttercream icing...and for the silver i think I am just going to dust it on white...any ideas on coloring?

Since this is my first fondant experience I am opting for premade...can i use my mccormick flavors to flavor it?
I need this cake by this saturday...please help

13 replies
SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:16am
post #2 of 14

Do you have a bakery supply place that you know of in your area? If not, you've got a choice of Wilton and Duff's fondant. And if you don't have a Michael's, it's pretty much Wilton. If there's a Hobby Lobby in your area Americolor has a great color called Electric Pink, but I'm not sure if they carry it. If you've never really worked with fondant, it's hit or miss to try and make your own, but I think a great hot pink could be achieved with Michele Foster's fondant adding a packet of unsweetened strawberry koolaid to the hot mixture and adding Electric Pink as needed later. Wilton's fondant tastes awful, but it's pretty sturdy stuff and easier for beginners to work with. You're better off buying black fondant, though. Hopefully there's a bakery supply. Good luck!

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:24am
post #3 of 14

Wilton's Pink( gel coloring) taste disgusting as well.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:30am
post #4 of 14

You are better off buying pre- colored black fondant. The pink should be easy to tint. For the silver, dye the fondant a light grey then paint on some silver luster dust mixed with decorating alcohol.

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:59am
post #5 of 14

I'm with the others on buying black, I tried to make black before and was impossible to get it that dark, then it faded to purple in a few hours.

I also agree on the taste of wilton fondant...if you can't buy the premade already colored, you need to paint with luster dust, or in a perfect world, airbrush the color. But I don't know what supplies you have in your kitchen and/or city. It really isn't that hard to make fondant!! Especially using marshmallows! Lots of recipes on here!

Good luck and post pics on here!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:18am
post #6 of 14

It depends on what you define as 'hot pink'

this was done with Americolor Electric pink:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1555194.html

and this with Wilton rose colour:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1812800.html

You are very brave at attempting a topsy with fondant, both for the first time - I wish you luck, be prepared for a lot of swearing and recovering!

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #7 of 14

good luck dear.. it will take alot of effort.. be prepared to use lots and lots and lots of food coloring!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 14

Start with dark brown then add black to get a really good black color.

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 14

MikeRoweshunny, have you tasted anything done with the electric pink? I just bought it last week after tasting the disgusting flavor I got from the Wilton pink. I wanna try the electric pink this week.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 14

I love this recipe
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf
If it was me, I have a harder time with the construction of a topsy turvy than the fondant. I really like this recipe. icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 14

I think Fondx makes a hot pink color pre-made (Sexy Pink?) and black. If you have time to order online you could save yourself a lot of headache by purchasing pre-made.

Kristy

tat2edprincess Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for all the input!!!

So i got Duff's black and his white to tint pink...

OMG Duff's buttercream fondant is yummy!!! and I tasted the black...black is normally my least fav. color to eat!!

I got a fuchsia color to play with and i have wiltons pink....so we'll see what color pink i end up with...

I am excited to play with the fondant...i made black stars with it on popciscle sticks to stick out...

now for a semi dumb question...i am crumb coating/filling with banana flavored buttercream....with fondant...do i just do the crumb coat or do i slap on a top layer of frosting? can I flavor buttercream fondant?

tat2edprincess Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

It depends on what you define as 'hot pink'

this was done with Americolor Electric pink:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1555194.html

and this with Wilton rose colour:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1812800.html

You are very brave at attempting a topsy with fondant, both for the first time - I wish you luck, be prepared for a lot of swearing and recovering!

I loved the pics!!! the cakes were too cute!!!! I am quite a brave person....i actually like to pretend that because my grandma and mom were cake decorators ...the art of decorating ruins in my blood.....haha I have to pretend a lot because my dad mom and brother are all great artists and i can't trace a straight line...lol

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 14

Too late now for your cake date, but I really love the new vibrant colors of Elite by Fondx. The Jet Black and Sexy Pink are like nothing I've seen before. And yes, taste great! Really bright colors - oranges, lime green, purple, etc., and really hold their color as well. By the time you knead so much color in, the time spent, money spent on color, and frustration are better exchanged for pre-colored fondant. We have a video on coloring fondant if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/sweetwiseinc#p/u/6/JqSl_Xh5dlw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%