Using Fresh Strawberries In Filling

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone!

I've got a cake for Sunday that I need to have done by about 9am Sunday morning. I'm going to do a buttercream filling, with a layer of fresh strawberries. I'm not quite sure how long I can leave it out with the strawberries once I layer and crumb coat the cake.... I'm going to cover it in fondant so I don't want to put it in the fridge unless I absolutely have to. (even BEFORE I cover it in fondant because it'll still sweat).

I won't have enough time Sunday morning to tort, fill, crumb coat, fondant, decorate, etc etc.

Do you think it would be ok to tort and fill, layer the strawberries on Saturday night and then NOT put it in the fridge? Or would that be gross?

I've never used fresh fruit before in a filling and I'm not sure what the 'rules' are icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!!

5 replies
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:01am
post #2 of 6

Yes it would be gross. You just need to refrigerate. You won't have issues if you keep it in a cardboard box in fridge and leave it in box while it comes back to room temp.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 6

You have to refrigerate or the strawberries will turn mushy. I put a layer of vanilla mousse and a layer of fresh berries in my brothers wedding cake and refrigerated the cake over night and they were fine. Just make sure you slice and dry the berries between layers of paper towels to remove as much juice as possible your you will have a leaky mess.

miny Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:35am
post #4 of 6

As long as you keep it in the fridge you won't have a problem, the sweating is nothing compared to a brown mushy strawberry filling

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! I'll have to leave it in the fridge with the fondant on overnight. Then pull it out early enough in the morning to let the condensation evaporate.

I appreciate all of the help! icon_biggrin.gif

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 6

So I had the cake in the fridge Saturday night with the strawberries in it. There was still a little bit of condensation on the cake when I delivered it, but it was still a huge hit! Everyone loved the cake, loved the flavor and said the strawberries were an "extra touch"!!

Thanks for your help guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%