I Am Really Ticked Off At Myself Right Now!

Decorating By MamawJ Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm by MamawJ

MamawJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #1 of 25

Sorry, need to vent............ I have read thread after thread about doing favors for friends, well now I know!!!

A wonderful couple who has been helping me tremendously promoting, referring and ordering cakes recommended me to her sister for a wedding cake. We talked, she sent me a picture of what she wanted. I gave her a price of only $100 because it was a small cake and I really wanted the opportunity to work on some of the techniques.

When I saw how tall her topper was, I suggested putting pillars in between to give the cake some more height. She said fine. Well, i put it together and I didn't like it, it actually looked better stacked. A two tier, 9" and 6", with fondant, airbrushed blue, chocolate and fondant hand painted shells and RI coral.

I thought it looked pretty darn good. I had also offered to deliver the cake for her so she wouldn't ahve to worry about it. (Ain't I sweet?) Well, then I find out (2 days before) that she moved her venue further away. I e-mailed her that I would have to charge a $25 delivery fee. She said no problem.

Well, almost two weeks passed--not a word. i finally e-mail her and she tells me the cake was too blue, they wanted it to look like the beach not the ocean and she was expecting three tiers!!! For 24 people!!!!!!! Then, had the nerve to tell me she thought I was taking advantage of her asking for the extra $25!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg........... Okay, I thnk I'm better now!

24 replies
MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 25

And by the way, I got TWO orders for that cake when it was viewed on my website!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 25

MamawJ: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg..........."

That was funny in a kinda horrible way. Sorry you got tromped on. Shake off the tire tracks and move on. I looked at the cake on your site and it was flawless perfection.

I worked with severely handicapped children and adults in my career providing customized equipment. My technicians and I would work hours and hours and hours to get that "something" just right, and then we'd get grief for it. Sigh.... We had a saying, "Be careful about extending a helping hand, it may be chewed off up to the elbow."

Well....you just got your arm chewed off.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 25

I looked at the cake and I think it def represents the beach icon_smile.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 25

If she wanted it to look like the beach- she should have asked for tan- because the BEACH is the sandy part that is next to the OCEAN.... duhhhhh. Some people...... or my favorite CC comment.... "cake muggles"

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:29am
post #6 of 25

See? I thought exactly that---the beach is the sand....the ocean is the water!!!!! And she brought me a picture!! Oh well.............I had fun, got some practice and sold two more cakes off her wedding.

Thanks for the compliments....it helps! No more Mrs Nice Guy!! icon_evil.gif

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:56am
post #7 of 25

Now, last I checked, the beach is at the ocean, in southern CA anyway, maybe things are different in Florida? icon_razz.gif
Btw, you cake was beautiful, I love the coral!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:48am
post #8 of 25

Please don't be ticked off at yourself: you made an astoundingly lovely cake at an unbelievably low price and from a picture you were sent, to boot. How in the world could she complain about that? If you're going to be miffed, be miffed at little Miss Entitlement. I'm thrilled that you got some more orders from this unpleasant experience and I hope you get more, because it's a really beautiful cake!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:02am
post #9 of 25

How far and how many miles was the delivery? At $25 you probably would have made more if you worked at McDonalds. And that is what I would tell her (gas @ $2.60 a gallon plus your time!!) Some people!!! Your cake is wonderful. When brides act that way, I often wonder how long their marriage would last.

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:55am
post #10 of 25

I knew I came to the right place to vent! Thanks, guys!! thumbs_up.gif

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:58am
post #11 of 25

Bridezilla!!!???!!!!

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:02pm
post #12 of 25

You know, I think the reason I am ticked at myself is that I felt it coming. I was trying to be nice and I could just feel it in the conversation but I didn't listen to myself!

I do need to make it a point to go see her sistert & brother in law. I certainly don't want them to feel caught in the middle of this! He owns a local seafood restaurant and has been selling my cupcakes and displaying a sign for me. He even buys me my paper supplies! That's why I felt it would be a good thing.

But I ordered my Cake Boss last night........from now on, everyone gets the sma eprice! PERIOD! Geez, I hate being cynical, but there are so many people who think what we do is over rated and feel like they should get more for less. True, I don't spend a fortunate in supplies, but if it were that easy, every bride or MOB could make their own darn cakes! icon_twisted.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 25

Does she wear glasses and maybe forgot to put them on??? This cake is
great and I love how you arranged the coral and shells!! icon_smile.gif

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:18pm
post #14 of 25

LOL. Thanks, apparently she is wrestling her own giants!! icon_smile.gif

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 25

HA! I just had an epiphany!!!! I will change the name from "Beach Wedding" to "Ocean Wedding"! There you go.......no miscommunication there! LOL

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:28pm
post #16 of 25

Sounds good to me!!
I'm sure all will be well between you & her sister & BIL. They know the
quality of your work and most likely loved the cake you did for the B****.
icon_smile.gif

dwatkins531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwatkins531 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:33pm
post #17 of 25

I looked at your cake, I thought it was beautiful. I too, am in the same boat. I'm just getting started, and family and friends are the worst, wanting you to do something for nothing, like delivering a cake, or can you come meet me, an hour away to talk about and plan cake. I finally decided I can't do that, especially since they are getting discount in the first place, and I had already made 2 trips for friend of husband's daughter. Told her if she wants to see me, I'm home most every day.

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 25

It's hard but I am learning that you have to take a firm stand or get knocked over!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 25

Your cake is beautiful! I'm making a cake this weekend for my sister in law. We're heading to Florida to celebrate and I love this cake!! I wanted to do a beach theme cake, and I think this is perfect!

Apti Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamawJ

Geez, I hate being cynical, but there are so many people who think what we do is over rated and feel like they should get more for less. True, I don't spend a fortunate in supplies, but if it were that easy, every bride or MOB could make their own darn cakes! icon_twisted.gif

Another thread (http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=697195&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0) had a link to the OP's website that is a superb model for all licensed bakers! One of the statements she has on her pricing page is:

"Its just flour, sugar, and eggs

Although some of the cost for your cake does go to ingredients, the majority is dedicated to the time, talent and resources it takes to make your cake special. From licensing, insurance, taxes and utilities, to research, sketching and creative implementation, your price reflects not only the cost of eggs, flour and sugar, but also the cost of skillfully turning those ingredients into a work of edible art."

MamawJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #21 of 25

Honest opinions (duh)!!!!

I just dropped cupcakes off at the restaurant that the BIL owns. He didn't know anything about the cake situation, but we talked for quite a while. He offered me his professional and personal opinion--both as my freind/mentor and her BIL)--then he handed me $50 and told me to write a nice letter and send her a check. He then said I could pay him back when I get my first referral from her--if not, I keep the money. She is an assistant manager at a party store and from the business side, he may be right. Personally, I have a really hard time admitting that she didn't get what she asked for.

Apti Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamawJ

I just dropped cupcakes off at the restaurant that the BIL owns. He didn't know anything about the cake situation, but we talked for quite a while. He offered me his professional and personal opinion--both as my freind/mentor and her BIL)--then he handed me $50 and told me to write a nice letter and send her a check. He then said I could pay him back when I get my first referral from her--if not, I keep the money. She is an assistant manager at a party store and from the business side, he may be right. Personally, I have a really hard time admitting that she didn't get what she asked for.

That is a fascinating man/friend/mentor/BIL. Sounds like BIL is allowing for the possibility of "subjective" interpretation regarding the SIL's desires re the cake. I know you have a hard time "admitting that she didn't get what she asked for" because you, and all of us, think she did. But, since artistry IS subject to variables and she apparently had a specific "picture" in her head, he's giving you a face-saving, money-saving, potential-future-business-saving way out. Personally, I am always the first in line for righteous indignation, but sometimes in business you have to just graciously say something you don't really want to say, and move on and use that experience for the next customer. Now you KNOW to say to a new customer, "You may have a specific picture in your head, but I am not able to see that picture. I will do the very best I can to intrepret your desires for your cake, but it must be understood that I retain the right for artistic expression and the best method of construction/planning that cake."

MamawJ Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #23 of 25

Giving it considerable, thought, I agree. The check will be in the mail tomorrow with a nice healthy heaping dose of crow!!! It'll be okay, I know the cake was nice and as close to what she wanted as I could do. I love to "borrow" inspiration from others' work, but I can't (and won't) duplicate it So, I will take the high road......and start on the second order I got for that same cake--but 4 tiers instead of 2--on Friday with my head held high......until 1:00 AM, when it starts to droop! icon_smile.gif Thank you all for your support!!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:16am
post #24 of 25

Well it is a nice cake, but I do have one comment on the blue. It's really bright. Tealish! I know the beach is at the ocean, but it really is more ocean than beachy. Sorry! Still a great cake.

MamawJ Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #25 of 25

I agree, but that's almost the exact color of the picture she brought me. If she had used the word "beachy", I would have discussed using a paler blue or even a taupe color. Anyway, no more phone call verifications.....only the contract and e-mails!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%