New To Group, And A Question Regarding Molds

Decorating By diamonds-and-rust Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm by diamonds-and-rust

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 10

Hi All!
I am a newbie to cake decorating and decided to take up this as a hobby since I lost my job. I am finding myself absolutely DEVOURING the wisdom on this site and find myself falling asleep with my laptop instead of going to bed icon_biggrin.gif

I have a question regarding molds: I have noticed that the choc candy molds are waaaayyyy cheaper than the fondant molds. I am sure there is a good reason for this but I was wondering if there is any reason that fondant should not be used in the candy molds?

Also, for anyone in the Seattle area, are there any local suppliers for the hi-ratio shortening? I love Sharon Zambito's recipe for the BC, but it is too expensive to have it shipped to me (got it from Amazon, and the bloody shipping charge was almost as much as the product) icon_cry.gif TIA!

9 replies
luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there. Welcome to CC. I have a lot of candy molds. They are easy to use with melted candy. I am sure you can use fondant in them too. The molds that I have used with fondant have been the silicone molds. They work well for fondant/gumpaste. Why would you want to buy hi-ratio shortening if you are just doing this for fun? I use Crisco for my buttercream. I am not a professional, but I do know that a lot of them also use Crisco or some other vegetable shortening. You can find many recipes on here for buttercream. Look at some of them. Again, welcome. You will love this site.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 10

I have yet to invest in hi-ratio shortening. I know it is supposed to be better for BC but it is so expensive. My BC recipe has added fat with sour cream. I think that is what you are really looking for is more fat content. I use regular vegetable shortening.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 10

Dawn's Candy and Cake in Kirkland - by Totem Lake has hi-ratio shortening, not expensive ... lots of other fun stuff, too. Check out her website for the address as it is inside a party supply store. There is a definite difference in working with it and it doesn't cost much to try.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe I'll have to try to find a local cake supply store and try it. Ordering online is expensive because the stuff is so heavy. Shipping will eat you alive.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 10

I've tried to mold fondant in those plastic chocolate molds. It's not easy and it's not fun. I've never had much luck with them. You put the fondant in, then it's really difficult to get the darn stuff out while still maintaining the shape. I've tried crisco, powdered sugar, etc. all to no avail. If someone else out there does it successfully, please share your secret.

Also, I make a lot of cakes, and never have I needed to use hi-ratio shortening.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 10

I also do not have much luck getting fondant back out of those plastic molds. Chocolate is easy because you flex and it comes right out, but fondant just wants to distort. I've driven myself crazy enough trying to get it out that I've just given up entirely.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

I used candy molds for the masks and the clapboard on this cake. I used crisco on the molds and smooshed the fondant (mixed with a little tylose) into them. Then I put them into the freezer for awhile to harden. It was much easier getting them out of the molds that way without distorting and stretching the fondant.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1687447

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 10

I also have used choc molds for fondant. I use a TON of cornstarch in the molds and usually mix the fondant with gumtex. I usually whack them on the counter to get them out.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 10

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome icon_smile.gif I know that I will love being part of this great community...I decided to order just a FEW of the choc molds, being that they received mixed reviews here as to how well they worked with fondant (they were only $1.09 a piece on the Into the Oven website)...well, I went to order some and for some reason...their checkout wouldn't allow me to enter any cc info...really screwy. I em'd them and haven't heard anything, so I ordered the Wilton gumpaste "tool kit" instead. Hoping to create some beeyoootiful items with that icon_smile.gif

Regarding the HRS, I wanted to recreate Sharon Zambito's BC exactly as she states. I LOVED the results, smooth and creamy frosting like never before, and tasted delicious as well (SUPER ez to work with as well). Spuddysmom, thanks soooo much for the tip regarding Dawn's Candy and Cake store. Will def take a trip up to Totem Lake soon.

Again, thanks to everyone for the welcome and the advice,

Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%