Need Small Amount Of Royal Icing

Lounge By KayMc Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm by Elcee

KayMc Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I saw a video where the woman made a template out of royal icing in order to make an imprint on the frosting of the design. Then, you cover the imprint with royal icing so you can do brush embroidery.

I only need a small amount of royal icing, and don't really want to make a whole batch. Does anyone know how I can do that? I'm going to be doing the brush embroidery on the cake sides, so I need the imprint as my freehand will really stink on the side of the cake. I don't have an appropriate cutter to use, so I need to make my own template.

4 replies
CakesbyCarla Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

I use the wilton recipe and half it all the time. I usually add a pinch more meringue powder than half would be and it works great for me.

chelleb1974 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 5

I use egg white when I make my royal. You can put an egg white in a bowl, whip it up, and stir in confectioner sugar until it is the right consistency.

~Chelle

tigerhawk83 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 5

I make half batch of Antoino74 royal icing and freeze what I don't use - then I always have some on hand for the small amount things. I freeze it in a glass bowl with a sheet of cling wrap pressed directly onto the icing - probably could use plastic but many plastics have molecular structures similar to lipid (fat) - and I'm afraid of messing up the icing since fat is a no-no for egg whites.

Elcee Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 5

I've taken the Wilton recipe down to 1/4 with no problems (1 cup PS, 1 tbs meringue powder).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%