Fondant And Jelly (Jello) For A Pool Cake Please Help :)

Decorating By kristyJ Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 8:15am by FlourPots

kristyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 12

hey everyone...

My son is turning 4 and we are having a pool party and i am making a pool cake to match....
i was planning on making the cake with fondant and lining the inside of the pool with chocolate and then a inch or so of jelly...
I have been googling for days and cant work out my problem, so please help me icon_smile.gif ...

PROBLEM- if i was to carve the cake then line the inside with chocolate and fill with jelly i can let it set in the fridge...but once i put the fondant on the cake cant go back into the fridge or it will sweat when i take it out. i have tried to see how long jelly will last out the fridge but its not long enough...i know i can use the gel icing stuff but really wanted jelly as my son loves it.
can anyone please advise me what i can do...

thankyou

11 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 12

Can't you fondant the cake and put your chocolate layer in, then just before the party put the jelly in?

helenecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helenecake Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 12

I once made a pool for a pool party...and it was very hot outside...but we wher only a few minutes from the party...I had no choice but to put the cake in the fridge as soon as we got there because the nice blue jello cut into cube was melting...tooo fast.So I suggest 2 things carve the inside ,cover with fondant. Add the jello just before showing the cake if you can...hope it goes well.you can look at my cake I made on helenecake.

kristyJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 12

thanks heaps for your ideas icon_smile.gif....
i was going to let the jelly set in the cake so its smooth but i assume i couldn't do that at the last min or it would just be liquid, tho i guess that would make it more real lol icon_wink.gif but not quite what i'm after .....

I wonder how the jelly companies make those jelly cups we see on the supermarket shelves they are not refrigerated at all yet they are hard??? any ideas!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 12

Another medium used for water is blue piping gel available at cake supply stores.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #6 of 12

Jello or Jelly? If you want jello, look at my zoo pics and see if that is what you are wanting. It is how you make your jello. Use water and corn syrup. I will send recipe if you like.

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:27am
post #7 of 12

I have done this also - I just made up the jelly with 1/2 the amount of water and it sets very quickly. Put it in when its cold but not set or you will melt your chocolate.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:45am
post #8 of 12

you could also let the jelly set in another tray, the right shape for the pool (or cut it to the right shape).
xx

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:28am
post #9 of 12

have you thought about making piping gel instead? i used it for a pond on my sons bday cake. making it is much easier to buy and quite easy too.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:29am
post #10 of 12

*cheaper to buy...

kristyJ Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 12

hey

thanks i think i have a practice go with a thicker jelly before and if that doesn't work then i'll use the piping gel...i'm sure my son will be happy no matter what icon_smile.gif

and BTW i LOVE all your cakes everybody's!!! they often just blow me away icon_smile.gif)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:15am
post #12 of 12

Before I made my pool cake I experimented using Jello for the "water"...I tried several variations using different amounts of water, including the Jiggler recipe, that's meant to set very firm.

In each, I placed small amounts of fondant mixed with tylose, since I was planning to have pool toys and kids in the water for the real cake.

My fondant slowly dissolved every single time...it spread way out and the colors bled.

I scrapped the Jello plan and went with tinted piping gel...worked perfectly...you can see here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1452670

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%