How Long Will Rice Krispies Last???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm by flowergirl1

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have never used RKT before. I plan on making something for a cake I November. I want to start the trial and error now. If I make the object with RKT and like it, how long will it last.

How should I store it?

I want to cover the RKT in fondant. What do you recommend I use to adhere the fondant??

Thank you in advance!

Michael

11 replies
Mikel79 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 12

icon_cry.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 12

I've made RKT figures a few times but covered them with modeling chocolate - Nothing needed to help it stick to the RKT.

If using fondant, you can use buttercream or a little bit of piping gel. Some people brush it with melted chocolate to help it get a smooth surface before covering it with fondant but I haven't tried this yet.

I wouldn't make them more than 4-5 days before they are eaten. It helps to make them with veg oil instead of butter (butter goes stale faster). With a 16oz bag of Marshmallows, I use about 2 Tablespoons of veg oil then add the rice crispies cereal. You can crush the rice crispy cereal to make it easier to work with and it helps with getting a smoother finish.

On my blog I have photo's of some Barney characters I made recently.

Good luck!

Mikel79 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:12am
post #4 of 12

Thx for the reply!

I was planning on using the already made store RKT. Can they be uses??

AngelFood4 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 12

Yes, you could use the ready made ones...just don't make them too far in advance or else they'll be stale.

Mikel79 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:44am
post #6 of 12

Thank you AngelFood!!

Michael

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #7 of 12

I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I still have Yoda's head (made with premade RKT and modeling chocolate), minus his ears, on my kitchen counter. icon_redface.gif I made him at the beginning of June for my son's birthday. icon_surprised.gif

The RKT still look like RKT (visible at the base of his neck), and they still have about the same consistency as the day I formed the head. The modeling chocolate still looks like modeling chocolate. The fondant bits, such as his eyes and fingernails, are just starting to look a little dried out.

But there's no evidence of mold or any other spoilage. If there was, I might find it easier to just plunk him into the garbage! He's not even stored carefully. Just setting in a far-too-small styrofoam carryout container with its lid resting on the back of his head. I have no idea what he tastes like at this point, and have no intention of finding out.

So the moral of my story is: If you're going to use RKT and modeling chocolate to form figures, you can do it 4 months in advance! (If you plan on eating them, however, a bit more discretion might be necessary on the timing... icon_lol.gif ) But if you put so much effort into sculpting something that you just can't bring yourself to throw it away, employ - in advance - the services of someone else less invested to pull the plug and toss it when the time comes! icon_rolleyes.gif

Scuplt away, I say! icon_lol.gif

AngelFood4 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 12

SugarFiend - You're Yoda head was amazing! I would keep that for as long as I could!

I've only made small, characters for kids and as soon as they get the opportunity, they're eaten up in no time.

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 12

Ihave been reading the comments,Iwas given advice myself havent made them yet but will do not add butter or veg oil, a lot of people use the recipe on the cereal pkt of course it is up to the individual they swear by it. icon_confused.gif

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

Aw, thanks AngelFood4! icon_smile.gif

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 12

We've experimented with rice crispy treats a lot, these past few months... tried sculpting a little bear and fondanting that for a baby shower cake but the day was hot and humid and well, he made it, barely, to the shower in one piece lol... next time, we tried crushing the cereal more... was stiffer to work with but still too... crumbly though less hot and humid of a day...

with our last cake, we crushed about 60% or so of the cereal first, didn't use butter (other than to rub the bowl before putting in the mm) and they were great to carve and sculpt with... they held up well making them a few days prior to use and held together better than the initial experiments. i've both buttercreamed before fondanting and fondanted directly and it really depends on what you're going for... buttercream can give a smoother surface but so can double fondanting, so depends on what details you're going for, how intricate the design and all that. the last cake we made the treats were for a guitar neck... i was tired, didn't feel like wrestling with buttercream, so i rolled and laid down a line of fondant, then fondanted over that and the 'fretboard' was nice and smooth and the fondant had NO problem sticking in all the right places...

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

Please forgive me i think i posted wrong info about not usingbutter or veg oil,what i should have said was do use butter but not the oil as a lot of people found it made the rkt very greasy thank you (hope im forgiven.) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%