Freezing Buttercream

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

I made way to much buttercream dream icing for my last cake and now I have a ton of it left. I hate to throw it away. Does anyone freeze their buttercream icing and if so, how does it taste once dethawed? How long do you keep it for?

4 replies
FullHouse Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 5

I have frozen Sugarshack's buttercream (similar to the bc dream, but with coffeemate instead of Dream Whip) and didn't notice a difference in the taste. Just remix after thawed and your good to go. My icing was frozen for a month and I used it on my son's cake, so we all got to taste test it.

TheCakerator Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 5

great, thanks a lot! What did you freeze it in, a ziplock bag? I was thinking of vacuum sealing but not sure how that would work.

FullHouse Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

I froze it in a Ziploc container. I put a layer of plastic wrap resting directly on top of the icing and extending over the sides of the container, then put on the lid to make it more air tight. A ziploc freezer bag would work well too. I've not used my Foodsaver, but if I were going to keep it long, I would just fill the bag with the icing, then let it get a bit firm in the freezer before sealing to avoid the mess. I just used the container b/c I didn't want to deal with having to get icing into a bag.

TheCakerator Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 5

great, thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%